Banana bread has been around for a while but it’s popularity in the US really took off in the 1930’s during the Great Depression. This period was all about food conservation and it became almost sinful to throw food away, even those “rotten” bananas. So when baking soda also became available nationwide, banana bread was the ultimate solution. The popularity of this delicious snack continued to grow over the years and now there are an abundance of banana bread recipes to choose from, much to my personal delight! Check out some of my favorites below.
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup banana very ripe mashed banana equals about 3-4 medium bananas
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a standard loaf pan and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until smooth and combined.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating until smooth.
- Mix in the mashed bananas, then stir in the vanilla.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients - including chocolate chips.
- Stir in gently, until just combined.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes, until a cake tester or toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove and cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then release from the pan and cool on a baking rack.
- Keep wrapped or in a container.