I can’t be the only one that makes chocolate banana bread only when she’s cleaning out her freezer, am I? I literally can’t think of a time when I looked at the bananas that were overripe in my fruit bowl and thought “Hey, let’s make banana bread right now!”
No. I am the person that throws them into the freezer, then makes banana bread only when I realize that I have no room in my fridge freezer for truly important things (like my trays that make round ice cube balls for my bourbon) and that I H-A-V-E to use up those bananas.
I love this recipe because it uses up two cups of bananas, which can range from 6-8 of those suckers that have been sitting in the bottom of your freezer for months.
If you are like me, then it’s probably only half of your stash of bananas but that’s ok.
You can make Butterscotch Oatmeal banana bread with some of the other bananas you have left…my Buttermilk Banana Bread. (pictured below).. Blueberry Banana Bread …or even try one the most popular bread on this site, my Basic Banana Bread. Between these two and this chocolate banana bread, I am sure that you can use up the other 8 bananas, does that sound like a plan?
Back to the chocolate.
While you can definitely use chocolate chips – and I highly recommend that you use the mini ones- I decided to just make mine without. It’s good. Very, very good. Chocolate and banana go together like popcorn and the movies.
It has a nice, light, cake-like crumb to it as well, and when you add in the chocolate flavour, it definitely hits the spot when you’re craving something sweet.
So the Great Banana Purge has happened again, and it was good.
Happy Baking everyone!
Love you more than chocolate banana bread,
Don’t forget to PIN THIS RECIPE to your DESSERT board and remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Chocolate Banana Bread
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 1 hour
- Karlynn Johnston
- Chocolate Banana Bread
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups of mashed bananas
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup sour cream
- cup 1 semi-sweet mini chocolate chips optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and eggs. Stir in bananas and vanilla.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda and cocoa, then stir into the banana mixture.
- Stir in sour cream and chocolate chips, if using, until well blended.
- Pour the batter into prepared pans.
- Bake in preheated oven for 55-65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of a loaf comes out clean.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.