This buttermilk banana bread is moist, easy to make, and bakes up into the perfect banana bread to pack for a lunch snack. The buttermilk in the recipe gives the bread a light color compared to other banana breads as well! Make sure to try my new brown sugar banana bread recipe as well.
Table of Contents
Buttermilk Banana Bread
There are always overripe bananas in most people’s homes, if you don’t have time to use them up, freeze them whole in bags then defrost them when it’s time to bake. If you don’t have ripe bananas, check out my post on how to ripen bananas.
This is a very moist, dense banana loaf and it is best to be eaten warm with butter smoothed over a slice.
Try using applesauce instead of the butter in this recipe for a lighter version.
How to Make Buttermilk Banana Bread
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Grease and flour a loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the bananas, applesauce, and egg, then set them aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, sugars, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add the dry mixture to the banana and then blend alternately with the buttermilk.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes. The loaf is done when a toothpick/butter knife inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
- When the pan is cool enough to handle, remove the loaf from the pan and cool on a baking rack.
How to Store Banana Bread
You can keep banana bread on the counter in an airtight container for up to 4 days. You can wrap banana bread up tightly and store it in the freezer for up to 3 months, thawing it at room temperature for several hours before serving. Then slice and serve.
Buttermilk Banana Bread
- Prep Time
- 25 minutes
- Cook Time
- 55 minutes
- Total Time
- 50 minutes
- baking, Dessert, quick bread
- 12 slices
- Karlynn Johnston
- ½ cup butter
- 1 ½ cups white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed banana very ripe equals about 3 medium bananas
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a standard loaf pan and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until smooth and combined.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating until smooth.
- Mix in the mashed bananas and buttermilk, then stir in the vanilla.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a medium bowl until combined.
- Stir into the wet ingredients until just combined.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes, until a cake tester or toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove and cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then release from the pan and cool on a baking rack.
- Keep wrapped or in a container.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.