You read that right.Banana…..GINGERBREAD. Oh, thank the heavens that I finally came up with something else to use up those brown frozen bananas at the bottom of my freezer! If you have been hanging around here on The Kitchen Magpie for a while now, you’ll know that I have this never ending stash of bananas in my freezer. Which amazes me because I would swear that my daughter actually lives on bananas most days. So if she’s eating them 24/7, how do I even end up with anything for my freezer?
Well, I have a treasure trove of frozen bananas, folks. There are always TONS of frozen bananas to use up.
Tips and Tricks for Making Gingerbread Loaf
- You can choose your own baking adventure with this loaf as well. As I mentioned before, I used cooking molasses, which is what you use in real gingerbread for that magnificent molasses flavour.
- If you are up for a lighter molasses touch, then you will use fancy molasses. It will make the loaf sweeter and lighter. Me, I like this one. I like that it’s not that sweet, that it kicks you in the teeth with its bold molasses flavour but I am a molasses lover through and through.
- Make sure to bake this until a cake tester or toothpick inserted comes out clean.
This banana gingerbread was freaking fantastic. Daringly dark, kick-you-in-the-teeth gingerbread flavour with the moistness that you associate with banana bread. However, there is almost NO banana flavour in this loaf. I used cooking molasses which is a beautifully bold flavour that overpowers pretty much everything else that you put in the loaf.
This is going into the regular baking rotation for using up bananas, I don’t care that it’s more of a holiday flavour. This load masks the banana flavour so well that Mr Magpie has been eating it like crazy.
This recipe is also for two loaves, because let’s face it, when you need to use up bananas….you really need to use up bananas. The truth is that nothing ages as well as a banana loaf does. These will freeze (if they last) and they also are even better three or four days after baking.
So, who’s in? Who’s ready to use up those frozen bananas in a delicious new loaf?
Love you more than chocolate,
PIN THIS RECIPE to your DESSERT RECIPES Boards and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 1 cup brown sugar white if you want a sweeter loaf
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups of mashed bananas around 6-7 medium banana's
- 1 cup of molasses cooking molasses for deep dark flavour, fancy molasses for a lighter flavour
- 3 cups of flour
- 2 1/2 tsp ginger
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour two loaf pans.
- Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs until combined.
- Mix in the banana and molasses until completely combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet mixture until completely mixed in.
- Divide the batter between the loaf pans and bake for 50-60 minutes, until a cake tester inserted comes out clean.
- Remove and cool for 10-15 minutes, then remove from the pans onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- Store wrapped up and enjoy!