This Healthy Banana Bread is CRAZY healthy – whole wheat flour, no oil, honey for the sweetener and hemp hearts! Did I mention that it bakes up perfectly with an amazing crumb and is perfect for school lunches or breakfast? It has taken me a while to master this recipe so I hope you enjoy the healthiest banana bread with seriously the best texture out there!
Healthy Banana Bread
How could this staple comfort food be super healthy? Well, you’re about to find out! You really can’t go wrong with this sweet and tasty guilt-free banana bread. It’s one of my very favorite things to bake because it’s just so versatile whether you’re making the kids lunches or want a yummy midnight snack!
But if you want to add a little extra decadence to it. I have to say that chocolate chips are always a nice extra! Both this delicious banana bread and my banana bread muffin recipe are a perfect way to use up any overripe bananas you have lying around.
How To Make Healthy Banana Bread
- Preheat your oven to 325°F and grease a standard 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- Whisk the baking powder, flour, salt, and baking soda in a separate bowl.
- Using a hand mixer, beat the honey and applesauce together in another large bowl. Then add in the eggs and beat well.
- Stir the bananas and vanilla into the mix.
- Add in the dry ingredients and mix by hand until combined, then mix in the hemp hearts.
- Spread the batter out in the loaf pan and make sure it’s spread evenly.
- Baked for around an hour and check if it’s ready by inserting a toothpick into the center of the loaf. If it comes out clean, you’re good to go! If not, leave it another while.
- Cover the top with tinfoil if it’s browning too quickly.
- Allow the banana bread to cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes before slicing.
Tips And Tricks For Making Healthy Banana Bread
- Riper bananas are perfect for this banana bread as they give it a rich banana-y taste and they’re easier to mash. But don’t panic if you only have fresh bananas, we can still make it work! You can quickly ripen them by baking them in the oven for about 8 minutes at 350 F (keep the peel on).
- Don’t have any honey? Use maple syrup instead!
- Want to add some variety? Add some blueberries to make blueberry banana bread!
- Freshly baked, this recipe will last for 2 days when stored in an airtight container at room temperature. But you can make it last up to a week once refrigerated.
- You can also freeze this banana bread for up to 3 months, either whole or sliced. When you want to serve it, just thaw it in the refrigerator or the counter overnight. If you’ve cut the bread into slices you can thaw it even faster in the microwave.
More banana-based recipes:
PIN THIS RECIPE to your Banana Recipes Board and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!
Super Healthy Banana Bread
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 1 hour 5 minutes
- Baked Goods
- 8 slices
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup melted honey
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups ripe bananas mashed VERY ripe
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup hemp hearts
- Preheat your oven to 325 °F. Grease a standard 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- Whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the applesauce and honey together with a hand mixer. Add the eggs, and beat well. Stir in the bananas and the vanilla.
- Mix in the dry ingredients by hand until combined, then mix in the hemp hearts.
- Spread the batter out evenly in the prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean, 60-75 minutes.
- IF the top is browning too fast, cover the top with tinfoil. You can also turn the heat up to 350 °F at the end of the baking time to bake hotter for the last 10-15 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack for ½ hour before slicing.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.