If you love banana bread then you seriously HAVE to try these scrumptious banana bread muffins. They are such a sweet treat and absolutely to die for – and did I mention they are incredibly easy to make?
Banana Bread Muffins
These banana bread muffins are the perfect way to start your day. They’re super quick and easy to make and ideal for breakfast or a sweet treat throughout the day. They also come in handy for the kids’ lunchboxes! (Yes, we are back to school soon, sorry for the reminder) All you need are some ripe bananas and a few basic ingredients to get started.
Ripe bananas are easier to mash and just sweet and more flavourful in general which is ideal for banana bread and muffins. I like to wait until my bananas are RIPE. Then I freeze them, and then I forget about them in the freezer for months. We always have bananas in the kitchen so I’m never short of a few spotty ones that I can freeze and forget haha! But don’t worry, you can still make some delicious muffins if your bananas have just about gone over the cusp of ripeness but aren’t quite there.
How To Make Banana Bread Muffins
- Start by preheating your oven to 350 F.
- You’ll need a muffin tin that can hold 12 muffins. Place some muffin cups in the muffin tin to prepare it or use some butter to grease the wells (don’t go overboard with the butter though!).
- The next few steps are easy. Start by mixing your sugar, butter, vanilla, and egg in a bowl until you get a creamy and light yellow mixture.
- Then stir in the mashed bananas.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt together and add it into the butter mixture.
- Stir until you have a smooth batter.
- Scoop the batter into the tin making sure you divide it evenly between the muffin wells. You can use a cookie scoop for this if you have one, or a #8 food disher will work too.
- The batter will take around 25 minutes to bake, but you’ll know when it’s ready with the toothpick test. After 20 minutes, poke the center muffin with a toothpick and if it comes out clean then your muffins are ready. If not, keep baking for another while and repeat until they’re done.
Tips and Tricks For Banana Bread Muffins
- No one wants a dry banana muffin! You can keep your muffins moist by making sure you have a proper ratio of dry to wet ingredients. A couple of tablespoons of milk will moisten up a dry batter easily. This is where the ripeness of the bananas you use is noticeable too – the riper they are, they more sweet and moist your muffins will be!
- If you don’t have ripe bananas, place the bananas you have on a baking sheet (with the peel on) and bake them at 350 F for about 5 minutes or until the skin goes dark.
- Over mixing the batter is something you want to avoid. The more you mix it, the more gluten will develop which will give the muffins a dense and rubbery consistency (eww!). You should stir the batter until the ingredients have combined and no longer than that.
- You can add some chocolate chips for a little extra flavour, don’t be afraid to experiment! For more chocolaty banana goodness you should also check out my chocolate lovers chocolate chip banana bread!
More Banana Recipes
Peanut Butter Cup Banana Muffins
Mom’s Best Banana Bread Recipe
Enjoy you guys!! This is a keeper recipe that both my kids eat, so I am so happy to share it with you!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Learn to cook like the Kitchen Magpie
Flapper Pie and a Blue Prairie Sky
A Modern Baker’s Guide to Old-Fashioned Desserts
The Prairie Table
Suppers, Potlucks & Socials: Crowd-Pleasing Recipes to Bring People Together
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!Subscribe on YouTube
Banana Bread Muffins
- Prep Time
- 5 minutes
- Cook Time
- 25 minutes
- 12 muffins
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup of mashed ripe bananas
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon optional
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Prepare a 12 muffin capacity muffin tin by placing muffin cups in the muffin tin, or greasing the wells with a little butter.
- Mix together the sugar, butter, vanilla and egg in a bowl. until creamy and light yellow, Stir in the mashed bananas.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt then add into the butter mixture.
- Stir the batter until it is completely smooth.
- Use a cookie scoop or a #8 food disher to scoop the batter into the tins, dividing evenly between the 12 muffin wells.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until toothpick poked in center muffin comes out clean.
- You can also add in 1/2 cup of walnuts if you desire.
- You can use oil instead of butter if you want crispy tops on the muffins
- The riper your bananas the better this will taste!
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
Made this recipe?
Share a photo of what you made on Instagram or Facebook and tag me @thekitchenmagpie or hashtag it #thekitchenmagpie.
Please rate this recipe in the comments below to help out your fellow cooks!
PIN THIS RECIPE to your MUFFIN RECIPES Board and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Leave a Comment or Recipe Tip