This is the BEST sour cream banana bread recipe – it’s so decadent and loaded with chocolate chips! The sour cream really adds a lovely tang and makes a loaf of incredibly moist banana bread, not to mention uses up those freezer bananas of yours.
If you don’t have sour cream, you can make my buttermilk banana bread or check out all of my banana bread recipes, I’m sure you will find one that you love. I have an entire category of quick loaf bread recipes!
How to Make a Banana Bread Recipe with Sour Cream
First, don’t bake it when there’s a heat warning in your city, but if you do, bake it in your little countertop oven as I did! Man, that worked like a charm and I didn’t heat my house up during the hottest weather we’ve had this year! This is a super easy banana bread to make:
- Prepare a standard loaf pan
- Cream your butter and sugar together.
- Add in the egg, bananas, sour cream, and vanilla.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Combine the dry into the wet until just mixed together.
- Place in the pan
Banana Bread Tips and Tricks
- When you make a banana bread that has really moist ingredients (more so than usual, like in this case when we add in sour cream) you really have to bake it long and lower than usual.
- A lot of banana bread recipes are baked at 375°F, but I like to lower mine to 350°F. You reduce the risk of cooking the outside and having a raw inside.
- Check in multiple places for doneness, not just the very middle! Make sure it’s DONE!
- Cover the banana bread lightly with aluminum foil to prevent it from being too dark on the top. I generally cover mine when I see that it’s getting brown, then take it off at the end to make sure it browns up perfectly.
More Banana Bread Recipes
If there is one thing I have a ton of here on The Kitchen Magpie, it’s banana bread recipes! I have SO MANY! I love banana bread and just keep coming up with other versions, and one of my favorite concoctions is my blueberry banana bread! It’s the craziest combination but it WORKS! I also have:
- You have to try my banana nut bread. This is my #1 favorite banana bread recipe. Heavy, dense and loaded with walnuts and banana flavor. Amazing!
- My mom’s basic banana bread that she made when we were growing up. So good!
- I even whipped up a super healthy banana bread recipe and you’d barely notice it was healthier!
- And of course, chocolate chip banana bread. Classic and decadent!
Hope you give this one a whirl! Happy baking!
Don’t forget to PIN THIS RECIPE to your BAKING board and remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Chocolate Chip Sour Cream Banana Bread Recipe
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 1 hour
- 12 slices
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup mashed banana equals about 3-4 medium bananas
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a standard loaf pan and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until smooth and combined.
- Add in the egg, beating until smooth.
- Mix in the mashed bananas, then stir in the sour cream and vanilla.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients - including chocolate chips.
- Stir in gently, until just combined.
- Pour/spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pan, levelling the top.
- Bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes, until a cake tester or toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove and cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then release from the pan and cool on a baking rack.
- Keep wrapped or in a container.
- you can skip the chocolate chips if wanted, or use some walnuts as well
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
Learn to cook like the Kitchen Magpie