You know why I can claim that these are the best brown butter chocolate chip cookies? Because I took my Thick & Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe, the most popular cookie on my entire website, made by thousands of people, and made them with browned butter and sea salt.
The result is freaking cookie perfection.
Introducing: Brown Butter
The only thing better than chocolate chip cookies is brown butter chocolate chip cookies. Every single time I’ve made these they’ve all disappeared within an hour! There are definitely a lot of cookie monsters in my house… myself included! In this warm weather, my Perfectly Chewy, Ice Cream Sandwich Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe is another hit with the household!
If you’ve browned butter before, you’ll instantly recognise the incredibly scrumptious aroma that comes with it, not to mention the delicious nutty taste that can instantly change the flavour of anything you add it to! And if you haven’t browned butter before, oh gosh – you’re in for a treat!
Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies Ingredients
- all-purpose flour
- baking soda
- brown sugar
- granulated sugar
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
- sea salt flakes
How to Make Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies Perfectly
- First, heat your oven to 350 degrees get some parchment paper to line your baking sheets.
- Heat the butter in a small saucepan over medium-heat whilst stirring and make sure you have a heatproof spare bowl ready
- When the butter turns a golden brown, pour it into the bowl and let it cool down.
- Once the butter is cooled, it’s tie time beat together your butter and sugar until you can a light and fluffy consistency.
- Then add your eggs and vanilla, whilst making sure to mix thoroughly.
- Whisk dry ingredients together and then beat them into the butter mixture until combined completely.
- When that’s done, fold in the two cups of chocolate chips by hand and prepare to place them on the parchment paper-lined cookie sheets.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonful onto the baking sheets and add a sprinkling of sea salt.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown and slightly underdone.
- Cool on the sheets and store in sealed containers.
Why Are My Chocolate Chip Cookies Flat?
If your chocolate chip cookies are flat then you can be sure that either butter or sugar is the culprit! Both can cause your cookies to spread. To combat this, try using half butter and half shortening, or reduce the amount of sugar you use. If you want to cover all bases, try both solutions!
How to Bake Frozen Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
These brown butter chocolate chip cookies can go straight from the freezer into the oven! Simple! Bake them for 1-2 minutes longer than the recipe states.
What is Brown Butter?
Brown butter is a magical delight to the senses, but aside from that, it’s just butter that’s been slowly cooked until it turns brown and develops an enticingly nutty aroma! It can add a deep, rich flavour to whatever you decide to add it to.
How Long Does it Take to Make Brown Butter?
It only takes around 10 minutes to make brown butter. Just make sure you don’t take your eye off the pan or you could end up with burned butter instead!
Want to try some more tasty cookie recipes? Here are a few of my favourites:
- Crispy Peanut Butter Cookies
- Thick & Chewy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cheesecake Filled White Chocolate Red Velvet Cookies
- Rolo Cookies
- Peanut Butter Blossom Hershey Kiss Cookies
PIN this picture to your COOKIES BOARD and remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!
The Best Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Prep Time
- 15 minutes
- Cook Time
- 12 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon salt use 1/2 tsp if you are using salted butter
- 1 cup of packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2-3 teaspoons sea salt flakes
Preheat your oven to 350 °Get out your baking sheets and line with parchment paper.
Place the butter in a small saucepan. Get a heat proof spare bowl ready beside you. Heat up over medium heat, stirring and swirling the butter. Once the butter stars to foam, it will quickly turn golden brown. Once you see the butter turn golden brown, instantly remove it from the heat and pour it into the waiting bowl - this stops the cooking process.
Let the butter cool down.
Once the butter is cooled, beat together your butter and sugar until it’s light and fluffy. Add in the eggs and vanilla, mixing thoroughly. .
Whisk together the dry ingredients ,then beat them into the butter mixture until combined completely.
When that is done, fold in the two cups of chocolate chips by hand, and prepare to put them on the parchment paper lined cookie sheets.
Drop by rounded heaping teaspoonful onto the baking sheets. Sprinkle with sea salt.
Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown and slightly underdone. Cool on the sheets completely. Store in closed containers
You can use any type of chocolate chip in this that you like!
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.