Curried pumpkin soup is one of my favourite soups to eat in the fall. I don’t eat it any other time of year, when I come to think of it, but when the pumpkin are ready and those leaves are falling from the trees?
Curried pumpkin soup is the first thing I make.
Before I even get a pumpkin spice latte. I know, it’s crazy,
Ok. Here’s the deal. Either you love pumpkin soup, or you hate it, there is no in between. I had this last year at a Christmas party, and my dad and I were the only ones at the table who raved over it,a mere 2 out of 6 people. It’s a unique taste for sure, but I would think if you love curry, and you love pumpkin, you will probably love this.
This is one of my favorite soups ever. And a good thing too, because no one but me eats it in my household. Which means that for a week I get to eat pumpkin soup.
Ha. Those sucker chumps in my family don’t know what they are missing.
Actually, my son will eat this now, because as long as it doesn’t have meat he will usually eat it. And curry? That kid LOVES anything curry, so he’s on board.
The other two?
Pffft. What can I say. There’s just no accounting for taste sometimes. How can you not love a good curried pumpkin soup?
Pin this recipe to your SOUPS BOARD!
- 1/2 cup of finely diced white onion + 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 4 cups of vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 tbsp curry
- 1 can of pumpkin, 28 oz
- 1 1/2 cups of half and half cream
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- sour cream and pepitas ( pumpkin seeds) to garnish if wanted
- Fry the onions until soft. Set aside.
- In a large pot, mix the butter and flour and melt them together, like you would do for a white sauce base.
- Slowly add the broth to the flour mixture, stirring slowly and steadily so that there are no lumps. Add in until all the broth is in and the liquid is smooth. Stir in the curry, cream, brown sugar and soy.
- Simmer on low heat (cream based soups can burn easily) until the onions are soup tender and ready. If you want, puree the soup so that the onions are incorporated smoothly.
- Serve topped with extra cream, a swirl of sour cream and pepitas if wanted.
Nutritional information is only an estimate. Actual nutritional numbers will vary due to cooking methods, your ingredient measurements and brands of products used.