No one makes moist, delicious banana bread like my Mom does! This banana bread recipe is so old that it calls for margarine in it – but of course I prefer to use good ol’ butter. Salted butter, of course! If you want a banana muffin recipe try my banana bread muffins, they are spectacular!
The Best Banana Bread Recipe
I know, I know. EVERYONE has a “Mom’s Banana Bread Recipe” and their recipe is the best. This recipe and my banana nut muffins are my go-to recipes that my Mom has baked for my entire life. It’s easy, it doesn’t need milk ( this is a very important thing for an absentminded woman like myself) and it uses up 3-4 medium bananas. I think we love our Mom’s banana breads so much because that is the exact taste from when we were growing up. Don’t get me wrong, I haven’t met a banana bread that I didn’t like (the exception being dried out ones) but my Mom’s is always going to be my favourite recipe.
And if you know me, I always have bananas in the bottom of my freezer to make banana bread.
How to Make Banana Bread
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a standard loaf pan and set aside.
Cream the butter and sugar together until smooth and combined.
Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating until smooth.
Mix in the mashed bananas, then stir in the vanilla.
Whisk together the dry ingredients – including chocolate chips.
Stir in gently, until just combined.
Pour into the prepared loaf pan.
Bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes, until a cake tester or toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Remove and cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then release from the pan and cool on a baking rack.
Keep wrapped or in a container.
Can I Freeze Banana Bread?
You can absolutely freeze banana loaf successfully. It’s almost better after being frozen, although nothing is better on a cold, rainy afternoon than freshly baked banana bread, still warm from the over, slathered with some butter on top.
How to Freeze Banana Bread
I prefer not to freeze banana bread in plastic containers as they do get freezer burnt easier. To properly freeze banana bread:
- Wrap each banana bread loaf tightly in plastic wrap, doing two layers of plastic wrap to protect it.
- Wrap in a layer of tinfoil, making sure that all of the plastic wrap is covered.
- Write on each loaf the date that you baked the banana bread.
- Eat the next day because we all know you’re dreaming about the banana bread in the freezer and want it for breakfast.
I think one of the reasons I love this – and consider this the best banana loaf recipe ever – is that it gets a crust on top. I like a crusty topped banana loaf, I like that toothsome crunch that it gives when you give it a good bite. I also like that it doesn’t get too soggy, as banana bread is wont to do.
Can I Double This Banana Bread Recipe?
Yes you can, double this to make two loaves and then you are using up 8 bananas from your freezer, which of course I have as well. There is usually no less than a dozen in my freezer.How, I don’t know because the Rose eats bananas like crazy, so how there are any that get too ripe I’ll never understand. But there they are, like magic, in the bottom of my freezer every time I go to get them. Magic freezer bananas, I tell you!
Baking Tips and Tricks for Making Banana Bread
- The riper the bananas the better your banana bread is going to be. The bananas are going to be the major sweetness in the bread and the sweeter they are the better the banana flavour is. The banana flavour is going to be stronger if you use really ripe bananas.
- Don’t over-bake the banana bread. You want it to be moist and tender crumbed, not dry and tough.
- Chocolate chips or no chocolate chips, the choice is up to you! I prefer none, actually, but the rest of my family loves the chocolate chips in it.
- Add another half cup of mashed bananas to make this SUPER moist and dense! It will take longer to bake however.
More Banana Bread Recipes
So what is YOUR mom’s best banana loaf recipe? Does she have any tips or tricks that you have loved since childhood? Another favorite of mine is my chocolate buttermilk banana bundt cake, give that a whirl too!
Happy baking babes!
Don’t forget to PIN THIS RECIPE to your Baking board and remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Mom's Best Banana Loaf Recipe
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 55 minutes
- Total Time
- 1 hour 5 minutes
- 10 slices
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 large large eggs
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups very ripe mashed banana equals about 3-4 medium bananas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a standard loaf pan and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until smooth and combined.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating until smooth.
- Mix in the mashed bananas, then stir in the vanilla.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients - including chocolate chips.
- Stir in gently, until just combined.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes, until a cake tester or toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove and cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then release from the pan and cool on a baking rack.
- Keep wrapped or in a container.
- You can add walnuts or pecans instead of chocolate chips if you want! If you want a super moist loaf, add in another half of a banana!
- Add a 1/4 tsp of cinnamon for a great taste addition
- Add another 1/2 cup of mashed bananas if you want to make this super moist and dense! It will take longer to cook however
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.