You will find many scone recipes on my site, they are a breakfast favorite. My husband eats them with peanut butter, my son with butter and my daughter with jam. They are a nice substitution for toast when you have a moment to whip something homemade up for breakfast or lunch.
Apple scones are an excellent way to use up a scrungy apple that’s been hanging around for a while. Don’t just toss it out, make apples scones with it! You don’t need perfect fruit for baking, it’s a good way to reduce kitchen waste by baking them into delicious treats!
The glaze on this is optional, but I wouldn’t skip it if I were you. It makes them completely decadent and a lovely way to start your morning!
Happy baking babes!
Apples scones are quick, easy and a delicious treat for breakfast and more!
- 2 cups of flour
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup of cold butter or margarine
- 1 cup of shredded apple
- 1/2 cup of milk
- sugar and cinnamon for sprinkling if desired
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees. Combine all of your dry ingredients, and mix them together well. If you like spicier scones, add another 1/2 tsp cinnamon, or better yet, some nutmeg or cloves.
- Cut in the 1/4 cup or margarine or butter.
- Shred your apple. Add the shredded apple, then the milk and mix until they form a soft dough. Add a bit of flour if the dough is too sticky, it really depends on how moist your shredded apple is.
- Knead a few times, working some extra flour into it until it is barely sticky. Divide into two balls of dough.
- Flatten until they are two circles that are about 6 inches in diameter. If you like, scour lines on the top to divide them into 6 pieces.
- Place them on a well greased baking sheet and sprinkle them with brown sugar and/or cinnamon.
Pop into the over and bake for 15- 20 minutes until they are golden brown. Remove and cool.
When the scones are cooled,, whisk together the glaze ingredients until they are smooth. Drizzle over the scones then let harden completely.
- Serving Size: 1