Move over all other types of upside down cakes, my new cinnamon spice upside down apple cake blows them out of the water. The brown sugar, apple and spices topping is an apple caramel dream, and the cake itself is a tender crumbed, vanilla flavored apple cake that I could make and top with another icing easily.
“This is the best cake you’ve ever made.” It could definitely be argued that my kids have tried more types of dessert than any other child out there. My first bestselling cookbook was 125 desserts, and my second cookbook had a few chapters of sweet treats as well. That said, my daughter (who has tested more different cake types than anyone I know other than myself) literally just said those words to me about this apple cake as we finished eating slices of this cake topped with a smidgen of vanilla ice cream.
The Two Parts to This Cake
- The Apple Cake : The cake itself is freaking amazing. I am going to use it as my basic coffee cake recipe from now on. It’s light but dense enough that it holds together when you slice it. I don’t think it needs spices, but you could add cinnamon if you like. I think that we need to leave the spices to the topping – and once you try it I think you’ll agree.
- The Cinnamon Spice Apple Topping – This topping had the kids (okay fine, it was actually all of us) fighting over the edges pieces. The ooey, gooey buttery brown caramel sauce soaks into the cake and turns the edges of the cake into a slightly hardened, sticky candied cake edge. The edges are the best part of the cake, not even kidding.
Types of Apples to Use
Sour apples don’t really work in this recipe, so Granny Smith aren’t the best here. You COULD add more sugar to combat that, but this cake was perfect as is and I used Gala apples. This recipe works the best with sweeter apples such as:
- Red Delicious
- Golden Delicious.
The point to this recipe is to use up apples – I used up 5 small/medium sized apples on this recipe- that you really need to use up quickly. It’s okay if the apples are starting to shrivel a bit as long as they aren’t rotten or moldy. Simply peel them as use them, you don’t need the apples to be crisp in this recipe.
This is now my go-to recipe for using up apples quickly and I’m not going to lie, we ate this for breakfast three days in a row.
What can I say, between having to stay at home and homeschooling my kids, the general stress of the world today, I’m letting things go. Cake for breakfast is happening. This really makes a good breakfast, the cake isn’t too sweet and the apples are such a nice change of pace.
PIN THIS RECIPE to your CAKE RECIPES Boards and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Cinnamon Spice Upside Down Apple Cake
- Prep Time
- 30 minutes
- Cook Time
- 40 minutes
- 20 slices
- Karlynn Johnston
Upside Down Apple Cinnamon Topping
- 1/2 cup melted salted butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 4 cups thinly sliced apples peel and core them first
Apple Cake Batter
- 1 cup butter soft & at room temp
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 cup white sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup grated apples peel and core them first, measure the grated apple packed into the measuring cup.
Topping (goes in the bottom of the pan)
- Prepare a 13 inch x 9 inch pan by greasing the sides then pouring the melted butter into the bottom.
- Mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon and allspice.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar mixture evenly over the melted butter.
- Arrange the apple slices in an even layer on top of the sugar/butter mixture.
Apple Cake Batter
- Cream your butter and sugars together, then beat in the eggs, one at a time, until thoroughly incorporated and the mixture is light and fluffy. Mix in the vanilla.
- Whisk together your dry ingredients. Beat into the wet ingredients until combined. Mix in the shredded apples until spread throughout the batter.
- Gently spread the batter over top of the apple mixture.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 40-50 minutes, until it's golden brown and a knife inserted comes out clean. Remove and let sit for 5 minutes,
- One you can touch the pan safely, run a knife along the edges of the pan to loosen the edges, then flip onto a large platter or sheet pan.
- The "topping" part starts out by going into the bottom of the pan, so that when you flip it, it's the actual topping that drizzles down over top of the cake.
- Do NOT blot the shredded apples, you need all of the moisture for the cake batter!!
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.