These ginger scones are one of the oldest, most popular recipes on my website! I have updated them ( whew, they were around 7 years old!) with new photos and turned them into Christmas Ginger Scones! They are so perfect for the holiday season!
Now don’t let my new revamp scare you away. These are still the same old ginger scones that have been on my website for 7 or 8 years. You can’t beat these ginger scones for their versatility and their total deliciousness! Remember, you can eat these ginger scones at any time of the year, I just thought they would be great as a Christmas scone as well!
I DO actually have some real Christmas scones, my Christmas Cherry Scones. THOSE are also another favourite! What could be better than Christmas cherries in my favourite scone recipe?
Well, these. In cute little tree and star shapes.
Ugh. So cute. So delicious.
So give the new shape a whirl and let me know what you think!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tbl granulated sugar
- 2 tsp . baking powder
- 1/2 tsp . baking soda
- 3/4 tsp . salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp . ginger
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup of soured milk
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Put your flour in the bowl then whisk in all your spices.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter.
- Time for the egg. Crack it into a bowl, whip it up and then add your molasses.
- Add in your sour milk, which can be soured by using a bit of vinegar in it.
- Add your wet ingredients to your dry and combine until the dough forms a ball.
- Turn out the ball onto a lightly floured surface.
- Separate into two ball of dough IF you are making traditional scones.
- Flatten the dough into 6 inch circles, and mark where you want your scones to be, I find they each make 6 perfectly. Cut into triangles.
- To make Christmas shapes, roll out the entire ball of dough until it is around 1 inch thick. Cut out your Christmas shapes just like you would cookies! Re-roll the dough and keep using until you have cut all the shapes that you can. Use Christmas cherries for garnish.
- Place on a well greased baking sheet.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven until browned and baked, around 20 minutes.
- Remove, cool and sprinkle with powdered ( icing) sugar if desired.
- Serving Size: 12
Nutritional information is only an estimate. Actual nutritional numbers will vary due to cooking methods, your ingredient measurements and brands of products used.