Decadent Yet Healthy Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins! Believe it or not, these pumpkin chocolate chip muffins are pretty healthy for you and are still the best tasting chocolate chip pumpkin muffins recipe! Read on to see how you can healthy these up a bit!
My Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins are a family favourite.
This is the best recipe I have ever put together that uses whole wheat flour in a muffin, and you can’t even tell, which is the kicker for me. Why eat something that’s whole wheat just because it’s healthier, but you don’t really enjoy it that much. I also love that applesauce replaces the oil just as easy as pie, and I actually prefer them made with applesauce for that little extra flavor. This isn’t a recipe that compared to the store bought junky pumpkin muffins that are loaded with preservatives and oils. This recipe is for just darn good tasting, not too bad for you pumpkin muffins!
Can I freeze these muffins?
Yes! These pumpkin muffins are perfect for school lunches for the kids ( and hey some work lunches for Mom and Dad). Wrap them up tightly in a bag and make sure it’s sealed so that they don’t get freezer burned.
How can I make these pumpkin muffins healthier?
- There is very little sugar to start with in these pumpkin muffins and what I use is brown sugar instead of white.
- Use only 1/2 cup of chocolate chips instead of the usual entire cup of chocolate chips, it cuts the calories down.
- You also need large amounts of spices to make up for the lack of sugar in the base, and the amounts I add make up for it nicely.
- These chocolate chip pumpkin muffins out as beautifully rounded topped muffins even when you use the applesauce instead of the oil.
- The whole wheat flour is the key!
Tips & Tricks For Baking Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins
- Do not over mix the batter! Pumpkin will go rubbery on you if you do and then your muffins will bounce!
- I find it’s better not to use liners when you don’t have oil in the recipe. When you use applesauce the muffins will stick to the muffin liners – a lot!
- The chocolate chip pumpkin muffins shown in the photos have oil, that’s why I used a liner.
Healthy, Hearty and Has chocolate. The three H’s. Yum!
More Recipes to Try!
- Whole Wheat Hermit Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Scones
- Strawberry Plum Crumble Cake
- The Best Bakery Style Blueberry Muffins Ever
Don’t forget to PIN THIS RECIPE to your BAKING or PUMPKIN board and remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
The Ultimate Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins
- Prep Time
- 5 minutes
- Cook Time
- 15 minutes
- Total Time
- 20 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of pumpkin
- 3/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1/3 cup of oil or applesauce
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Crack the eggs into your mixing bowl and mix.
- Add in your oil or applesauce, I only had oil in my cupboards this time, and I really wish I had the applesauce instead, it's so much healthier and adds a nice natural sweetness to the recipe.
- Add in the pumpkin and water. Stir.
- Stir in the brown sugar until dissolved as much as possible.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, spices, baking soda and powder. Add in your chocolate chips.
- Mix them into the wet mixture until just combined. When baking with pumpkin, you can't over handle it or the end baked result goes rubbery. Add the dry mix into the wet, and very gently mix it together until just...JUST....mixed.
- Fill the muffin tins to about 3/4 full. Bake them at 375 for 15 or so minutes until done.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.