My Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins have been a favourite of my family for years. This is the best recipe I have ever put together that uses whole wheat flour in a muffin, and you can’t even tell, which is the kicker for me. Why eat something that’s whole wheat just because it’s healthier, but you don’t really enjoy it that much. I also love that applesauce replaces the oil just as easy as pie, and I actually prefer them made with applesauce for that little extra flavor.
There is very little sugar and what I use is brown instead of white, plus only 1/2 cup of chocolate chips instead of the usual entire cup. You also need large amounts of spices to make up for the lack of sugar in the base, and the amounts I add make up for it nicely. As long as it’s a hit with the kids, you won’t find me changing my recipe!
These chocolate chip pumpkin muffins out as beautifully rounded topped muffins.
Healthy, Hearty and Has chocolate. The three H’s. Yum!
Whole wheat, applesauce and chocolate chips make these truly the ultimate Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins!
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of pumpkin
- 3/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1/3 cup of oil or applesauce
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Crack the eggs into your mixing bowl and mix.
- Add in your oil or applesauce, I only had oil in my cupboards this time, and I really wish I had the applesauce instead, it’s so much healthier and adds a nice natural sweetness to the recipe.
- Add in the pumpkin and water. Stir.
- Stir in the brown sugar until dissolved as much as possible.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, spices, baking soda and powder. Add in your chocolate chips.
- Mix them into the wet mixture until just combined. When baking with pumpkin, you can’t over handle it or the end baked result goes rubbery. Add the dry mix into the wet, and very gently mix it together until just…JUST….mixed.
- Fill the muffin tins to about 3/4 full. Bake them at 375 for 15 or so minutes until done.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin