I’d love to be able to say that this recipe came about because I am on top of the season and June = strawberry recipes. Sadly, because this is me that we are talking about, this recipe came about because I had strawberries and plums that were almost too ripe and had to be used up ASAP before we left for our trip to the States.
So as per usual, this recipe came from my absentmindedness and lack of organizational skills.
This is, without a doubt, one of the most delicious coffee cakes that I have ever concocted. While it may not be plum season, they are plentiful in the stores now after a long winter and spring without the masses of those ruby red, purple gems piled on top of one another in the produce section. I’m ready for plums, right now.
The crispy, crunchy almond topping really made it perfect for me, the slight acidic tang of the almonds cut through the sweetness of the white cake and of course, pair deliciously with the fruit.
You could make this with all plums, all strawberries, or heck, use any fruit that you like. The coffee cake base lends itself to almost infinite flavours, from even chocolate chips to raisins, if you like.
It’s just a dang good coffee cake.
Because I’m me, I also threw in some white chocolate chips, just to make sure that it was sweet enough. I loved the flavour that they added to this (as well as the sweetness, of course) and because chocolate = win. Even white chocolate.
I might try this with some rhubarb when I’m home and in my kitchen and see what I can come up with, but for now, I suggest strawberries. All strawberries and white chocolate. The plums are fantastic and if you love plums, do all plums. Really, it’s up to you to choose your own taste adventure here!
Love you more than chocolate,
- Almond Crumble Topping
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped fresh plums
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- n a large bowl, mix the oil and sugar together.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, the nadd the vanilla and the almond extracts.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with cream.
- Fold in fruit and chocolate chips.
- For topping, in a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in walnuts. Sprinkle over batter; sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks