Is anything more classic for the holidays (or you know, a Monday morning with a coffee) than delicious Magic Cookie Bars, also known as Hello Dolly Bars? These condensed milk and chocolate layer bars are so easy to make and are always a crowd favorite!
How to Make Magic Cookie Bars
Magic cookie bars are the original 7 layer bar, even though they don’t technically have 7 layers. The original bar has 6 layers and people have adapted them into 7 layer bars over the years. The original magic cookie bars don’t have butterscotch or extras (hey, not that those don’t make the bars better!) but I wanted to provide you guys with the basic, old a heck, classic magic cookie bar recipe that started it all!
Making magic cookie bars is as easy as 1,2,3!
- Press the crumb base into the bottom of the pan.
- Place all of the ingredients into the pan in the correct order.
- Bake, then cool and slice.
How to Freeze Magic Cookie Bars
Magic cookie bars freeze perfectly but there is a trick to it because they are slightly ooey and gooey, so they take an extra step to freeze.
- Cut the magic bars into the size that you want to freeze them.
- Place the cookie bars onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Freeze them until they are solid.
- Place the bars into a container and layer them between parchment paper to ensure that they don’t stick together.
- Cover the container and freezer for up to 3 months.
Why these are also known as Hello Dolly bars I am not quite sure, but they were invented in the 1960’s and started out as Hello Dolly Bars. They are the exact same thing as magic cookie bars, just differently named.
More Cookie Bar Recipes
These are super sweet and awesome cookie bars, enjoy!
PIN THIS RECIPE to your DESSERTS Board and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Is anything more classic than delicious Magic Cookie Bars? These condensed milk and chocolate coconut layer bars are so easy to make and are always a crowd favorite!
- 1/2 cup salted butter melted
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped nuts'
- Pre-heat your oven to 350° F, or to 325 °F if you are using a glass dish.
Spray your pan of choice with cooking spray and set aside for later.
- Combine the graham cracker crumbs and the salted butter until the graham crumbs are moistened with the butter throughout.
- Press the mixture into the bottom of your prepared prepared pan.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk evenly over the graham crumb crust.
Sprinkle even layers of the chocolate chips, coconut and the nuts, making sure they are mixed on the top evenly. ( you want a little of each all over the place)
Press these down firmly with the back of a spoon into the condensed milk ( but don't break through to the crust.!)
Bake for 25 minutes in your preheated oven or until lightly browned all over. If you notice the top browning too fast you can cover with tinfoil for a few minutes and keep baking. Remove and cool.
- Cool the bars completely before slicing.
- Cut into bars or diamonds.
- Store covered at room temperature or in a closed container in the freezer for up to 3 months.