Lipton onion soup mix is every home cook’s secret recipe, especially in this meatloaf recipe. Packed with flavor and bursting with deep onion soup flavor, this is a perfect weeknight family dinner.
Table of Contents
- Lipton Onion Soup Meatloaf
- Lipton Onion Soup Meatloaf Ingredients
- How To Make Lipton Onion Soup Meatloaf
- Could You Substitute Other Soup Mixes In This Recipe?
- Do You Need To Use Cheater Ingredients In This Recipe?
- Pin this recipe to your DINNER RECIPES Board and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
- Lipton Onion Soup Meatloaf Recipe
Lipton Onion Soup Meatloaf
Some people like to claim that using a soup mix is somehow cheating when cooking at home. However, things like soup mixes form the basis of some of the very best North American recipes.
It is a bit like saying that you can’t use spice mixes – why not?
This recipe makes for a meatloaf that is not only juicy and moist but also filled with a deep, rich flavor from the soup mix. It should taste like a warming, comforting onion soup yet also remind you of a comforting home dinner from when you were a kid.
Lipton Onion Soup Meatloaf Ingredients
Make sure you look at the recipe card at the very bottom for the exact amounts so that you know exactly what to buy for this recipe.
• Ground beef
• Lipton Onion Soup Mix
• Bread crumbs
• Mozzarella cheese
• Worcestershire sauce
How To Make Lipton Onion Soup Meatloaf
• In a large mixing bowl, add the eggs and mix them slightly
• Add the ground beef, soup mix, breadcrumbs, mozzarella cheese, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic
• Mix all the ingredients together with your hands just until the mixture just starts to stick together
• Press the meat into a loaf pan and brush the top with the last 2 tablespoons of ketchup
• Bake uncovered at 350 Fahrenheit for 60 minutes, or until the internal temperature is 165 Fahrenheit according to an instant-read thermometer
• Add on more ketchup to the top right before it is done for a thicker glaze on top
• Allow the meatloaf to rest for 5 minutes before slicing and enjoy
Could You Substitute Other Soup Mixes In This Recipe?
This recipe is all based around using a Lipton onion soup mix to provide the majority of the seasoning and flavor for your meatloaf.
However, if you aren’t a fan of Lipton soup mixes, you could definitely use a different brand of onion soup mix entirely.
Of course, you don’t have to stop customizing there – why not try an entirely different type of soup mix instead?
There are all kinds of differently flavored soup mixes available out there, from cream of chicken to even weirder ones like an apricot mushroom.
However, so long as you like the flavor of your chosen soup mix and you think it will work well in a beef meatloaf recipe, why not throw caution to the wind and give it a try?
Do You Need To Use Cheater Ingredients In This Recipe?
One of the most common complaints from cooking purists is the inclusion of cheater ingredients. Well, this recipe has two of them: soup mix and ketchup.
While it is totally possible to substitute the soup mix for your own custom blend of herbs, spices, and caramelized onions, this is just one of those times when it isn’t worth it.
The onion soup mix is absolutely packed with flavor and will provide all of the umami and onion flavors that you need in your meatloaf. Trying to make it from scratch could end up producing something marginally better, but for way, way more total effort.
The inclusion of ketchup is another controversial yet incredibly necessary addition. Ketchup isn’t just a way of adding tomato flavor but also a way of contributing some much-needed sweetness and acidity to the meatloaf.
You could certainly try and sub in some other replacement ingredients like vinegar, sugar, and tomato paste, but the careful balancing of these three things will always be a tricky thing to try and master.
It is much easier to use your favorite brand of ketchup and get the flavor that way. Save the crazy cooking science for the weekend – this is a comforting, homey weeknight dish, so why complicate it?
Looking for more delicious Ground Beef Meatloaf recipes? Try these out:
Pin this recipe to your DINNER RECIPES Board and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Lipton Onion Soup Meatloaf
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 1 hour
- Dinner, Main Course
- Karlynn Johnston
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 Lipton Onion Soup Mix (One Envelope)
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs (Plain)
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese (Grated)
- 2 eggs
- 4 Tablespoons ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic (Fresh diced if available)
- Preheat your oven to 350°
- In a large mixing bowl add the eggs and mix them slightly.
- Add the ground beef, soup mix, breadcrumbs, mozzarella cheese, 2 tablespoons ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and garlic.
- Mix all the ingredients together with your hands just until the mixture starts to stick together.
- Press the meat into a loaf pan and brush the top with the last 2 tablespoons of ketchup.
- Bake uncovered for 55-60 minutes or until the internal temperature is 165 degrees, according to a meat thermometer.
- You can add more ketchup to top right before it is done for a thicker glaze on top.
- Allow meatloaf to rest for about 5 to 10 minutes before slicing
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.