Hold on to yer horses, this Lemon Better Than Sex Cake is BETTER than the original better than sex cake! You can have the chocolate, give me all of the lemon please! Lemon cake, lemon pudding, whipped cream and lemon cream cookies combine to make this dessert a lemon lover’s dream come true!
Lemon Cake is Definitely the Best Better Than Sex Cake
I’m not sure if using “the best better” was proper grammar in the header above, but as a lemon cake lover let me tell you, this is your dessert. Period. It combines everything lemony in one pan and it’s not overwhelming. It’s a great twist on the normal or classic Better Than Sex Cake that I whipped up two weeks ago. Don’t get me wrong, that is one helluva good cake my friends, but I am a lemon lover through and through.
This cake is also called Better than Robert Redford cake or Better Than Anything Cake but really, those crazy 1970’s mom’s LOVED to name their desserts with slightly risque names back then. Sex in a Pan, anyone? That classic is also a layered dessert which is on my list to make! That one will wait for summertime however as it’s perfect for a BBQ. Or maybe not, I tend not to be the patient type.
Tips & Tricks For Making This Lemon Cake
- I find that instant lemon pudding is harder to source here in Canada, so if you can’t find it go with the lemon pie filling in the box that you have to cook. Make sure NOT to add in the egg yolks! That is what will turn that into a very firm pie filling and not a more smooth and liquid-like lemon pudding. However on the other hand if you would like to make a lemon layer on top of the cake, then make the pie filling firm according to the package directions.
- You can use any lemon filling that you want to. The beauty of this cake is that you can sub in whatever you want to for the lemon pudding. You can even use a jar of lemon curd if you want super tangy!
- Let this dessert sit for an hour or two for sure. It’s better when the cookies get soft.
- You can use real whipped cream or cool whip, the choice is up to you!
If you are looking for some more decadent dessert recipes, try these:
- Peanut Butter & Oatmeal Dream Bars
- Seven Layer Bars
- Blueberry Pie Bars
- Black Forest Cake Trifle
- Hazelnut Cream Pie using Frangelio
Happy baking! Or in this case, not baking!
Pin This Recipe To Your Desserts Board and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!
Lemon Better Than Sex Cake
Hold on to yer horses, this Lemon Better Than Sex Cake is BETTER than the original better than sex cake! You can have the chocolate, give me all of the lemon cake please!
- Prep Time
- 30 minutes
- Total Time
- 30 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1 18.25 ounce package lemon cake mix
- 2 cups lemon pudding ( instant or cooked pie filling, canned pie filling, lemon curd)
- 2 cups of broken lemon cream filled cookies
- 1 8 ounce container frozen whipped topping thawed
Bake the cake according to package directions for a 9x13 inch pan. Remove from the oven and poke small holes in the top ( making sure not to poke all the way through to the bottom.
Prepare the lemon instant pudding according to package instructions. If you are using cooked lemon pie filling only use ONE egg yolk to prepare it. You don't want it too thick! You can even skip the egg yolk if wanted and just cook the pudding without if you want it more liquidy. Cook it until it thickens slightly.
Slowly pour the lemon pudding or pie filling over the top of the warm cake, letting it sink into the holes in the cake. Take 1 cup of the cookies and sprinkle them over the top.
Let the cake now cool completely, then top with whipped topping. Decorate the top of the cake with some more lemon cookie chunks.
Refrigerate for an hour or two if you can then serve!
Sometimes Instant Lemon Pudding is hard to find in Canada. Simply use the cooked pie filling that is in the box. Be sure NOT to use all of the eggs! You don't want it to set like a pie filling - unless of course, you would like a layer that sets like that. It's all up to you. It will soak into the poked cake holes better if it's more liquidy, but a nice layer of lemon filling is nice too!
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.