Yes, it’s about time that I made the famous Chocolate Better Than Sex Cake. Where this cake came from I have no idea (perhaps a cake mix company) but let me tell you it’s delicious!
What on Earth is Better Than Sex Cake?
I don’t actually know and neither does anyone else! It was made more famous thanks to Paula Deen in the 1980’s but I am going to guess that it’s a classic 1970’s concoction, since they seemed to like coming up with names like Sex in a Pan, or Better than Sex Cake in that era.There are so many variations on this cake and I can’t really find where it came from. Better than Sex cake is also known as Almost Better Than Sex Cake, Better than Anything Cake, Heath Cake, Better Than Robert Redford Cake and more.
From what I can tell, the cake should consist of:
- Devil’s Food Cake Mix ( which is why I wonder if a cake mix company came up with it)
- Condensed milk
- Heath Toffee Bars
- Caramel Topping
- Cool Whip
And that’s IT, folks. Five ingredients and you have a better than sex cake. If you know me well, then you know that I do love playing around with cake mixes and recipes like this and you know what? They are always so delicious!
I loved that this recipe was so darn fast to make. I whipped it up for a Sunday dinner as a very last minute dessert. It was one of those moments where the light bulb came on and I thought ” Hey….we are having company for dinner which means that if I make a cake, I can make them eat it!” These are the things that you think when you are a food blogger, how to get rid of your cakes. Main meals? No problem, we will eat them as leftovers all throughout the week. Cakes and other large desserts? Those have GOT to go! I have been known to send my daughter down the street taking cakes with her to her friends house.
Now, my Canadian readers are going to ask about Heath bars and I am going to tell you to USE SKOR BARS! They are pretty much the same thing.
Mike compared the better than sex cake to a trifle, if you are wondering about the consistency and texture. Another thing? We were all shocked that it wasn’t tooth-achingly sweet. I’m serious, this cake isn’t as sweet as we braced ourselves for. We wanted to try the cake anyway but I really thought that Mike wasn’t going to like it at all. Somehow however the better than sex cake turned out just right, which must be thanks to the cake mix and Cool Whip both not being overly sweet items.
If you are looking for some other retro cake recipes, try my:
Pin This Recipe To Your Cakes & Desserts Boards!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Learn to cook like the Kitchen Magpie
Flapper Pie and a Blue Prairie Sky
A Modern Baker’s Guide to Old-Fashioned Desserts
The Prairie Table
Suppers, Potlucks & Socials: Crowd-Pleasing Recipes to Bring People Together
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!Subscribe on YouTube
Chocolate Better Than Sex Cake
- Prep Time
- 20 minutes
- Cook Time
- 25 minutes
- Total Time
- 45 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1 18.25 ounce package devil's food cake mix
- 1/2 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 6 ounces caramel ice cream topping
- 4 1.4 ounce bars chocolate covered toffee, chopped
- 1 8 ounce container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Bake the cake according to package directions for a 9x13 inch pan. Remove from the oven and poke small holes in the top ( making sure not to poke all the way through to the bottom.
- In a large microwave safe measuring glass, combine the sweetened condensed milk and caramel topping. Microwave in 10 seconds intervals, stirring until smooth and blended. Continue until the mixture is warm.Slowly pour the warm topping mixture over the top of the warm cake, letting it sink into the holes in the cake. Take 2 of the candy bars, break them up and sprinkle over the cake.
- Let the cake now cool completely, then top with whipped topping. Decorate the top of the cake with some more chocolate toffee bar chunks and swirls of caramel topping if desired.
- Refrigerate for an hour or two if you can then serve!
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
Made this recipe?
Share a photo of what you made on Instagram or Facebook and tag me @thekitchenmagpie or hashtag it #thekitchenmagpie.
Please rate this recipe in the comments below to help out your fellow cooks!
Comments & Recipe Tips Share a tip or comment!
Lisa M. says
Love this cake and the easy recipe, Thanks!