Confession time again, ladies and gentlemen.
I was just too darn tired to make a cake from scratch. This was when we were at home for a mere three weeks, I was booked up with countless events and commitments the entire 21 days and I wanted a C-A-K-E one afternoon and I wanted it N-O-W.
I don’t know why I am spelling out words in caps and dashes, to be honest. It just feels right.
And as per usual, I digress.
I looked in my pantry and to be honest again, I almost always have a cake mix or two. I don’t mind playing around with cake mixes. I’m sure you know by now that a food purist is the very last thing I’ll ever claim to be. I’m you. You’re me. We like cake mixes once in a while. Why bother even pretending that I don’t? In fact you can even go and read my confessions for my favorite bad foods that I love.
Admittedly, I looked at the box of butter pecan cake mix and thought “Oooh man. How long has THIS been in my pantry?” It’s not a cake mix that lends itself to playing around with cookies or fun cake mix recipes.
However my eyes then wandered over to the other side of my pantry where I keep my chocolate chips and baking supplies and landed upon something that has a semi-regular spot in there…pistachio pudding.
And what have I recently made on this website that incorporated both pecans and pistachio pudding?
Yuppers, my Watergate Salad.
So why not a Watergate Cake?
Oh ho ho, why not indeed. Wow. Ok you guys, I know that it uses a cake mix but in all seriousness W-O-W peeps, this was a seriously easy, delicious, fabulous cake!
Moist, pineapple-y, pecan-y and some cherry flavored buttercream icing topped it off to make this company worthy cake!
I did, without a tinge of shame, feed this to company the next evening. In fact I was absolutely proud for them to try this, I kid you not. I don’t give two hoots that this used a cake mix AND a pudding mix!
I should hang my head in shame, yet instead I’m proudly sharing it with you guys.
Eh, just take away that Food Bloggers Card that never arrived.
Make this now. This spring. This summer. Trust Magpie I
rarely lie to you… fine maybe once in a while I never lie to you about cakes. Cakes are some serious business, man.
IF this cake didn’t have a cake mix and a pudding mix, it would honestly be in my upcoming cookbook. I’m that enamoured with it. The taste, the texture, the icing which is literally and figuratively the icing on the cake….oh my. I LUFF IT!
Anyone can make this cake it’s so easy. Even icing it is a joy and adding those little cherries on top? Perfection.
Happy baking you guys! Love you more than chocolate!
- 1 box Butter Pecan Cake Mix
- 1 ounce instant pistachio pudding 3.4
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup crushed pineapple with juice 8 oz
- cherries with stems for topping drained on paper towels
- Cherry Buttercream Icing option 1
- 1 cup salted butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 3-4 tbsp whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups cold milk
- 1 envelope dessert topping mix ie: Dream Whip
- 1 envelope instant pistachio pudding
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, Grease and flour a bundt cake pan and set aside
- Combine cake mix, pudding mix, oil, eggs, milk and pineapple in a stand mixer bowl
- Mix the batter on medium speed for approximately 2 minutes, then pour into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until a tester inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool completely.
- Combine all icing ingredients together and whip for 2-3 minutes with your stand mixer, until creamy and smooth. Add more whipping cream if you want a lighter icing.
- Frost the cake and garnish with cherries.