Raise your hand if you love Frangelico.
*Raises hand in the air and waves wildly*
Ah, Frangelico, the hazelnut lovers dream liqueur of choice. The smooth nutty taste that goes great in coffee, tastes amazing plain over ice and now has finally been cooked into a chocolate mousse for a pie in my kitchen.
If you love hazelnuts and boozy delights (and I mean come on, who doesn’t?) then you simply must purchase a bottle for yourself for Christmas or put it on your Christmas list. Santa needs to bring you one in your stocking this year. My flask of Frangelico just stays in my purse the length of the whole holiday season so I can make it through all the school events, food events and everything that the holiday throws at us.
A decadent, chocolate hazelnut cream pie has been on my To Bake list forever now and when my brother came over for a little pre-Christmas dinner, I finally had the opportunity to make one.
Oh, how lush this is with the added liqueur in it, that little zing it gives the chocolate mousse. The roasted hazelnuts on top simply mustn’t be skipped, they add such a divine flavor to it that makes the pie complete.
If I hadn’t already baked this up, it would be on my table again this December!
Happy Baking everyone! And remember, some Frangelico for you… some for the recipe…some for you.. some for the recipe…
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!
Hazelnut Chocolate Cream Pie Using Frangelico
- Prep Time
- 30 minutes
- Cook Time
- 5 minutes
- Total Time
- 35 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Chocolate Mousse:
- 1/3 cup Frangelico liquer
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 8 ounces dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup of whipping cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups of whipping cream to fold in later
- 1 cup of toasted hazelnuts skins removed and broken into large pieces
- Chocolate Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup of whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup of chocolate chips melted
- 2 teaspoons cocoa
For the Crust:
- Combine all three ingredients in a bowl. Press into a 9.5 inch deep pie plate, making sure you press up the sides firmly and cover the whole area. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 12 minutes. Remove and cool.
- For The Chocolate Mousse Layer:
- Melt your chocolate and whipping cream together in a thick pot on the stove over medium-low heat.
- Beat the egg yolks until creamy yellow.
- Add some of the warm chocolate mixture to the egg yolks to temper them, mixing quickly and thoroughly.
- Add the tempered egg yolks into the chocolate mixture and whisk the ingredients together.
- Cook over medium-low heat for another 4-5 minutes until the mixture has thickened.
- Stir in the Frangelico.
- Set aside and cool.
- Once cooled, pour the whipping cream into a bowl and beat with the whisk attachment until soft peaks form.
- Fold the whipped cream into the cooked chocolate mixture until combined completely.
- Pour into the pie crust, smoothing out the top.
- Place in the fridge for 3-4 hours.
- Prepare the whipped cream when serving. Whisk the cocoa and the powdered sugar together to break up any lumps. Place the cream, chocolate and powdered mixture into a large bowl then beat with a mixer until the whipped cream forms peaks.
- Spread across the top of the pie evenly, then sprinkle on the hazelnuts.
- Serve and enjoy!
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.