These blueberry pie bars stem from my secret love for canned pie fillings! It’s kinda weird, I know but it must come from my childhood when my mom used to make Cherry ChaCha all the time for dessert. That cherry pie filling dessert is still one of my very favorites to this day, even though I haven’t eaten it in years.
Blueberry Pie Bars – A Pie Filling Recipe
Do you remember Cherry ChaCha? Maybe that’s a good recipe for me to put in my cookbook. It reminds me of my childhood SO much. It was also a favorite of Mike’s in our early years of marriage, my mom used to make it for him all the time, but now he gets a store-bought pumpkin pie instead.Poor Mike.
These blueberry pie bars were fast, easy and simple to make, which is something that we all need this time of year. It also makes a large pan of bars, making it perfect to take to a party or feed a large family at the end of a meal.
The crust is basically a sweet, non-rising dough done in two layers with blueberry pie between those cake layers. Add on my Buttery Vanilla Glaze and you have one delicious dessert. It’s not a super sweet dessert, which I loved. I might have had a piece for breakfast the next day…I’m not admitting anything.It might have inspired me to try to make a cherry breakfast cake for the holiday’s….it hasn’t happened yet…but it’s coming, I am sure!
I love that excepting maybe the blueberry pie filling, I am certain that you have all the ingredients for these blueberry pie bars in your pantry or cupboards. I would bet however, that you do have a can of pie filling, whether it’s apple, cherry or whathaveyou and you can certainly sub in any pie filling that you like in this!
Happy Baking everyone!
Love you more than chocolate,
Pin this recipe to your DESSERTS BOARD and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!
Blueberry Pie Bars
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 35 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- one 21 ounces blueberry pie filling
Buttery Vanilla Glaze
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon melted salted butter
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 pan and set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat well. Mix in vanilla.
- Whisk together the flour and salt; add to the creamed mixture and mix until combined.
- Spread around 3 1/2 cups of batter on the bottom of the pan. Spread a layer of pie filling across the top. Drop remaining batter on top of pie filling.
- Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.
- Combine the buttery vanilla glaze ingredients and drizzle over the bars. Add in more cream if you want a creamier consistency.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.