Caipirinha is the national drink of Brazil for good reason! This incredibly refreshing cocktail is made using a liquor called cachaça. If you’ve never tried cachaça before, this sweetened lime with cachaça combo is a great introduction! It’s not too strong but has just enough bite to give you that real Caiprinha (pronounced kai-purr-reen-yah in case you’re wondering!) cocktail kick when you need it!
As with most popular drinks, everyone has their own way of making this mojito-like mix. But when you get down to basics, this recipe is very easy to put together. It is very similar to the mojito as it’s really just made from fruit and sugar topped with cachaça.
What is Cachaça?
Cachaça can be best described as the Brazilllian version of rum with the difference being that sugar cane juice is distilled instead of molasses. Over the years, cachaça has become increasingly popular worldwide and even John Travolta starred in a cachaça commercial back in 2013! Hey, if it’s good enough for Danny Zuko it gets my vote…
These 3 ingredients are all you need to mix up this lime-tastic cocktail!
- Sugar cube
How To Make Caipirinha
The mixing part takes minutes:
- Muddle half a lime with a sugar cube in the bottom of a glass.
- Fill glass with crushed ice and pour the Cachaça over ice.
- Garnish and Voila! Your drink is ready to serve.
Tips And Tricks For Making Caipirinha
- Fancy a cool and refreshing summer treat? Freeze your lime-cachaça mix and turn it into an ice pop (just make sure the kids don’t get near it!).
- Want to mix things up a bit in the summer? Add some berries to your glass for a raspberry flavored caipirinha.
- Fall season rolling around? Some cinnamon, sage, and apple will make this a super comforting evening drink after work.
- It’s absolutely fine to use regular white cane sugar for this recipe, but I find that the superfine variety works a bit better when I’m making cocktails. The crystals tend to dissolve a lot easier and that’s pretty useful when you’re mixing a caipirinha type cocktail that doesn’t require a massive amount of shaking up.
How to Make a Sugar-Free Caipirinha
To make a sugar-free version of this cocktail, simply substitute your favorite sweetener for the sugar. In my case, I found that for a standard cocktail, a single packet of Splenda works perfectly. I like to muddle it together with the lime and then give the drink a good stir when completed.
More Refreshing Cocktails To Try:
PIN THIS RECIPE to your COCKTAIL RECIPES Board and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
How to Make a Caipirinha
A delicious cocktail made using Cachaca and lime that is the perfect crushed ice drink.
- Prep Time
- 5 minutes
- Total Time
- 5 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1.5 oz Cachaça
- 1/2 lime
- 1 sugar cube or packet of splenda
Muddle 1/2 lime with sugar cube in the bottom of a glass.
Fill glass with crushed ice.
Pour Cachaça over ice.
Garnish and serve.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.