Making Hamburger Soup With Macaroni turns your normal hamburger soup into a full meal deal! While I love a good basic hamburger soup, I have found that the kids love it with macaroni even more – is anyone surprised? Not me! If I put elbow macaroni into anything (almost) the kids are guaranteed to love it!
Classic Hamburger Soup with Elbow Macaroni
This is how my Grandma used to make hamburger soup, with macaroni, and I am sure that I can guess why. Hamburger soup with macaroni is cheap, cheerful and filling – and when you have three grand kids that are starving from playing outside on the farm all morning they are going to need a lunch that will fill them up.
What kind of beef do you use in Hamburger soup?
You want to use lean ground beef, but if you have to use regular ground beef you can simply drain the grease a little better since it’s more fatty than lean. Hamburger soup with macaroni is pretty customizable when it comes to the meat, whatever type of ground beef you have in your freezer will do just fine!
What do I need to make Hamburger Soup With Macaroni?
While you can definitely spruce up hamburger soup, it’s really a basic soup with few ingredients, which is why it’s such a hit with home cooks everywhere. Here’s just the basics that you need to make a plain hamburger soup with macaroni:
- Ground beef
- Onions and garlic
- Diced tomatoes
- Beef broth
- Elbow Macaroni
- Thyme ( while you can make it without it, I love the flavour too much to not include it on this list!)
That really is it! I’m not even putting pepper on that list! So don’t feel discouraged if you are missing some of the extra ingredients, you can still make a delicious soup. The extras that make hamburger soup just that teeeeny bit better:
- Condensed tomato soup ( this really makes it richer and tastes like what Grandma used to make!)
- Dash of sugar – this cuts the acidity of the tomatoes but some people don’t like added sugar
- Ketchup if you don’t have the condensed tomato soup – it will add richness as well
- Bay leaves – bay leaves actually help to boost the savory flavour
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Want to make it in the slow cooker? Here is Slow Cooker Macaroni Hamburger Soup.
- Have a pressure cooker that you want to make this fast in? Try Instant Pot Macaroni Hamburger Soup or Instant Pot Hamburger Soup.
- You can cook the pasta IN the soup, but a lot of people find that some pastas make the soup “starchy” Instead, pre-cook the pasta and simply add it in at the end. I personally don’t mind the starch, but some do!
For some other great soup recipes try my:
- Split Pea Hamburger Soup
- Italian Turkey Macaroni Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Stew
- Simple & Delicious Crockpot Beef Stew
- Creamy Potato Hamburger Soup
Pin This Recipe to Your Soups and Stews Board and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
This hamburger soup with Macaroni takes the classic macaroni soup and makes it into a full meal by adding elbow macaroni! The whole family is going to love this soup!
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 10.75 oz can condensed tomato soup
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups frozen vegetables
- 1 tsp white sugar if your tomatoes are too acidic
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups elbow macaroni cooked
Fry the ground beef and onions together in the bottom of a large soup pot until the ground beef is cooked and the onions are translucent. Add in the garlic and fry until brown. Drain the fat and return the pot to the stove.
Stir in the tomatoes, tomato soup, beef broth, bay leaves, thyme, frozen vegetables and pepper.
Simmer the soup on low heat until the meat has softened and the vegetables are cooked, around 40 minutes.
Remove the bay leaves. Stir in the cooked macaroni and let it warm up. Ladle into bowls and serve.
I pre-cook my macaroni so that it doesn't add starch to the soup, which some pasta's can do. If you want to cook it in the soup you can!