A confession: My crockpot has literally not left my counter the past month. I’ve washed it and put it right back into the same place to be used again. I am quite seriously making almost everything in the crockpot lately, from stews to roasts to pasta. We are so busy – like every other family right now- that the only way we are going to have a nice hot home cooked meal is if I throw something in the crockpot for when we get home.
What I loved about this chicken stew is you only need enough chicken say, from leftovers, and the rest is mainly vegetables. Indeed, I had roast chicken leftover and we were a little tired of soup. It’s funny how one can trick their mind when eating something because really, this really is just a soup with less liquid and more vegetables. The heartiness makes it better somehow.
I rarely use chicken boullion in my soups or stews, opting instead for a delicious tasting vegetable one. I find chicken boullion can give you a “fake” chicken taste, am I the only one? Sometimes it’s needed but very rarely, a good vegetable boullion is far better to use. You can however, use chicken boullion in this if you so desire.
The chicken is going to break down and shred throughout the stew, which makes those two cups go a long way in the end. Play around with the vegetables you like in it, I love mushrooms in my stew and thought they were just fantastic for a nice change. Add onions, celery, mushrooms, whatever your heart desires.
Play around with the thickness at the end, depending on what vegetables you put in, there will be more/less liquid. Mushrooms and celery add liquid, potatoes and carrots not as much.
I’m thinking my crockpot deserves a name, he’s been working so hard and heck, will continue to work hard. I can’t remember the last time I used it so much, three or four times a week is a new record for me.
Has your crockpot been doing overtime with the Holiday rush, snowy weather and cold days?
Thanks for stopping in!
** Remember to join ZIPLIST to create your own online recipe box and then click SAVE on my recipe below to add it! I use my online recipe box ALL the time! **Print
- 2 cups of diced cooked chicken meat
- 10 cups of assorted vegetables (carrots potatoes, celery, mushrooms)
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 6 cups of water
- 2-3 tsp of powdered vegetable boullion
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Place the chicken,garlic and vegetables into the slow cooker.
- Mix together the boullion and water, then pour over the vegetables.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours, until the vegetables are soft.
- Take the cornstarch and mix it into a small amount of water.
- Stir into the stew, quickly whisking it in.
- Cook the stew for 10 minutes more, letting it thicken. You may add more cornstarch to get your desired thickness.
- Serve and enjoy.
- Serving Size: 8