Mike actually turned up his nose when I told him I was going to whip up this Creamy Potato & Hamburger Soup.He seriously thinks he doesn’t like hamburger in soups. Every time I talk about putting ground beef in a soup, he tells me he doesn’t like it. And then every single time I make a soup with ground beef in it, he loves it.
Seriously. The guy has this mental block about it. Hamburger soup is awesome, right?
How to Make Hamburger Soup
I swear that most of my soup concoctions are because I have a stuff in my freezer, fridge and pantry that I have to use up. I was desperately trying to use up potatoes before we went to the States for Christmas, I had some ground beef in my freezer and always those frozen veggies.Well, voila. This creamy potato & hamburger soup was the result of my cleaning out my freezer and pantry. Making hamburger soup is simple.
First, you fry up the ground beef mixture until cooked then place into a crock pot or slow cooker.
Second, you add in all the vegetables and spices ( NOT the milk products!) and cook for hours in the slow cooker, breaking down the ground beef into softer meat and the potatoes into smooth velvety goodness.
Then you whisk in the dairy ingredients at the end and serve!
What spices and ingredients are in hamburger soup?
The spices in my hamburger soup are different from the tomato based hamburger soup. I use parsley and basil with the garlic. When you are looking for a tomato based simple classic hamburger soup you can use thyme or even Italian spices.
This recipe is similar to my Crockpot Macaroni Cheeseburger Soup which is pretty much one of my favourite soups of all time. This one isn’t as rich – though if you want to add more Velveeta cheese, feel free to do so! – and you can cut it with a dollop of sour cream on top if you wish. Again, remember that Mike doesn’t like rich soups, so if he enjoyed this one it should be good for everyone. I love a thick, rich soup. Him? He pretends that he doesn’t like ground beef in soup, remember?
Poor Mr Magpie. Good thing we love him so much!
If you want to make a Hamburger Soup with Macaroni, that’s another delicious and filling way to make hamburger soup for the family!
Easy Hamburger Soup
This would be perfect for Christmas Eve after church, Christmas lunch, a New Year’s party or any ol’ time of the year. It’s going on the regular rotation soup list, for sure. I love how easy it is, how stick to the bones hearty it is and most of all, how Mike argues with me every time I make it. 😉
You can make this soup on the stove top, just follow the instructions and when it comes to cooking time, simmer on the stove in a large stockpot. Then at the end, add in the dairy.
Tips & Tricks for Hamburger Soup
- Make sure to use Russet potatoes as they fall apart and make the soup thicker and tastier! Don’t use red potatoes they will remain in one piece and not add any starch to the soup.
- You can use ground chicken as well if you don’t eat ground beef.
- Flavor to your liking at the end if you desire, sometimes I prefer more basil in mine.
- You don’t have to use the exact mixed vegetables that I do, use vegetables that your family loves! Peas, carrots, green beans, corn, all of these match flavour-wise, just choose what you like.
Hamburger Soup Recipe Video
I hope you all make it through the holidays happy and well loved! Make sure that you don’t miss my new and amazing Crockpot Meatball Shepherd’s Pie!
PIN THIS RECIPE to your DINNER RECIPES Board and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Creamy Potato & Hamburger Soup
- Prep Time
- 20 minutes
- Cook Time
- 4 hours
- Total Time
- 4 hours 20 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 medium white onion peeled and diced
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 6 cups of chicken broth
- 6 cups of peeled & diced Russet potatoes
- 2 cups of your favourite frozen vegetable mix
- 3 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp dried parsley flakes
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese cubed
- In a large skillet ,fry the ground beef and onions until the onions are soft and the ground beef browned. Drain the grease.
- Fry the garlic until browned and fragrant. Add the beef mixture to the crockpot or stockpot on the stove.
- Add in the potatoes, broth, vegetables, basil and parsley.
- Cook in the crockpot on low for 6-8 hours, on high for 3-4, or simmer on the stove until the potatoes are tender and starting to dissolve sightly.
- Whisk the cornstarch into the milk, then whisk into the soup. Add the Velveeta and let it melt, stirring occasionally. When it's melted in completely, spoon into bowls and serve.
You can add more broth if you like a thinner soup, or even 1/2 cup of sour cream at the end to add some tang.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.