Will you trust me that my new Creamy Split Pea Hamburger Soup is absolutely amazing?
Look, I know that the combination seems really odd and it came about, well, the way that things usually come about in my house. I had ground beef that I had taken out, forgot to use because I switched up my menu (which is why I don’t meal plan. I just can’t.) and then that ground beef was thisclose to expiring. I had seen a bag of bulk split peas in my pantry earlier and well, things got a little crazy. WHY put hamburger in split pea soup?
Well, why not? We put ham in it, actually for the very best split pea soup we soak and cook a ham bone in it. So why not another form of meat?
This is now Mike’s favourite soup. I don’t understand the man. First he tells me that he doesn’t like hamburger in soup (remember, he kept telling me he didn’t like it when I made my Creamy Potato Hamburger Soup Recipe? And then he loved it?)and then he tells me that THIS soup, this creamy split pea hamburger soup is his favourite soup of all time.
This split pea hamburger soup is actually really good. It has been given the seal of approval from all four of us in the family AND my parents when they came to visit. They tried the leftovers for lunch and declared it delicious and fitting for the blog. I like how it is and isn’t split pea soup all at the same time. There is no ham flavour at all, so you are left with a nice basic split pea base. Then you add in the hamburger which after cooking is a nice soft texture. It’s good, solid comfort food that is loaded with protein and iron.
Surprisingly, it’s going into the regular rotation of soups – I actually can’t believe my daughter ate this one but she had it twice, for supper and then for lunch the next day. That to me is the ultimate measure of a recipe’s success – if everyone happily eats leftovers the next day- so this is going to be a wintertime staple from now on!
So. What say you guys? Will you give it a whirl and trust me?
Happy Cooking! Make sure to also try my Simple Classic Hamburger Soup Recipe as well!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 white onion diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 8 cups of chicken broth
- 4 medium russet potatoes peeled and diced
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 1 cup of dry green split peas
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- In a medium frying pan, fry up the ground beef and onions until translucent. Once done, drain the grease then return to the heat. Add the garlic and saute for another 2 minutes. Once done, place in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-6.
- Stir the soup to disperse the peas evenly throughout the soup and serve.
- Press the saute button on your Instant Pot and place the ground beef and onions inside. Proceed to fry up the ground beef and onions until translucent. Once done, drain the grease then return to the Instant Pot. Add the garlic and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients. You can now either pressure cook or slow cook. Use the slow cook function and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- To pressure cook, press the soup button and choose 45 minutes. Turn the top knob to "sealing" and let it pressure cook.
- When done, you can chose to manually release the pressure by placing a tea towel over the sealing knob and release by turning it. You can also let it naturally release pressure and wait until it's done to take off the lid. The extra cooking time will not matter or affect the end result.
- Stir the soup to mix the peas throughout and serve.