This creamy and equally dreamy mashed potato dish is one of my favorite crock pot recipes! This has to be one the easiest side dishes around and it’s ideal for everything from weeknight dinners to potlucks and family gatherings because the potatoes stay perfectly warm and ready to eat in the slow cooker.
I like to serve these with my delicious BBQ Ribs, Lemon Garlic Grilled Salmon, or Mushroom Beef Chuck Roast! If you’re in a rush and looking for a super quick mashed potato option, try out my Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes recipe instead.
What Potatoes Are Best For Making Mashed Potatoes?
In my experience, Yukon Gold is hands down the best option for mashed potatoes. These potatoes mash easily due to their high starch content and soak up all the flavors for a lovely creamy end result. If you’re stuck, you could go for Russet, but definitely try to pick up some Yukon Gold for this one.
Can I Make Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes Ahead of Time?
One of the best things about this recipe is that your mashed potatoes will stay warm for up to 4 hours on a low setting in the slow cooker without losing their creamy consistency.
How to Make Fully Loaded Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Use butter to grease the inside of the crockpot and add the prepared potatoes.
- Pour vegetable broth over the potatoes.
- If cooking on low, cook for 6-7 hours. Or cook on high for 3-4 hours.
- When the potatoes are ready, mash them with a potato mixer and add milk until you get a creamy consistency.
- Place in the casserole and top with the bacon, cheese, onion, and sour cream in your preferred order.
- Serve up!
Tips and Tricks For Making Fully Loaded Crockpot Mashed Potatoes
- Don’t put any milk IN the crock pot before the potatoes are left to cook for the day as you’ll end up with brown potatoes! Just make them plain to start with and add the milk at the end.
- I prefer to peel the potatoes but you can just clean them instead of peeling if you wish.
- If you want the consistency a bit thinner, just use some more broth. If you want them thicker, useless. But I think this one is a good happy medium!
- Your cheese will melt more smoothly if you shred it yourself so try to do this if possible!
- You can use pre-cooked bacon for convenience if you wish, it won’t make any difference.
More Delicious Crock Pot Options
Here a few more of my favorite crock pot recipes:
Healthy Crock Pot Spaghetti & Meatballs: a healthy comfort food that’s still super satisfying!
Simple and Delicious Crock Pot Beef Stew Recipe: simple, delicious, and the perfect stew for when you just have the basics in your pantry!
Honey Garlic Instant Pot Chicken Thighs: get your “Chinese takeout” fix in just 30 minutes from your own kitchen!
Crockpot Chicken Cacciatore: this deliciously healthy yet decadent dish is a family favorite!
PIN THIS RECIPE to your SIDE DISHRECIPES Boards and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Learn to cook like the Kitchen Magpie
Flapper Pie and a Blue Prairie Sky
A Modern Baker’s Guide to Old-Fashioned Desserts
The Prairie Table
Suppers, Potlucks & Socials: Crowd-Pleasing Recipes to Bring People Together
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!Subscribe on YouTube
Fully Loaded Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Prep Time
- 5 minutes
- Cook Time
- 4 hours
- Total Time
- 4 hours 5 minutes
- Side Dish
- Slow Cooker / Crockpot
- Karlynn Johnston
- 3 pounds yellow potatoes like Yukon Gold peeled and sliced in one inch chunks
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup butter
Finish and Topping
- 1/2 cup milk
- 5-6 slices cooked bacon diced
- 1-2 cups shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Grease the inside of the crockpot with the butter.
- Place the prepared potatoes inside of the crockpot, then pour the vegetable broth over them.
- Cook on low all day, or on high for 3-4 hours.
- When the potatoes are ready and YOU are ready, mash them with a potato masher. Add in enough milk to make them creamy, then place into your casserole of choice. Top with the toppings in your preferred order.
- Place on table and let everyone spoon out their portions.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
Made this recipe?
Share a photo of what you made on Instagram or Facebook and tag me @thekitchenmagpie or hashtag it #thekitchenmagpie.
Please rate this recipe in the comments below to help out your fellow cooks!
Comments & Recipe Tips Share a tip or comment!
Ill need to double recipe also, so add double chicken stock I suppose? Do I want to just have enough stock to cover halfway up the potatoes do you think?
angela hammill says
angela hammill says
omg these were so good !!! thank u!!!
These look perfect for thanksgiving. What happens if double it? Just cook longer I suppose. Also…it would be ok to mix in the sour cream at the end insead of adding it to the top, right? Thanks for so many great recipes!
Karen322 If it fits, double it for sure and cook it longer and yes, you can add in the sour cream at the end! My daughter doesn’t like it so I take out plain for her and then dish up the rest!
Thanks! Ever use a hand mixer to “mash”?
Karen322 Yes, then once time I over whipped them and they were RUBBER LOL!! I stay away from mixers, but it can be done!
Karlynn Johnston says
Yes, just mix in the sour cream, that’s fine!
Karly Campbell says
There are so many ways to do potatoes- but in my opinion, loading ’em up is the best way! These look amazing!
Karly Campbell says
Sharon Freeman Guisgand says
These look great. Tried the creamy garlic chicken tonight. Man, that was the best! Definitely a keeper. 🙂
The Kitchen Magpie says
Awesome!! Thank you for letting me know, I love feedback! Especially when you loved it \U0001f609. It’s one of my new favorites, that chicken!
Heather Averill says
These look so good! Can’t wait to try them.
The Kitchen Magpie says
Your life will be CHANGED! I swear!! So easy and adaptable!