There are three secrets to making fantastic oven fried chicken.
One: The dipping order. Crumbs, then egg, then crumbs again.
Two: Always let the chicken rest in the fridge and get cold for half an hour after you’ve breaded it.
Three: Pouring melted margarine over the top. Not in the egg mix, it has to be over the top.
If you follow these three rules, you will have amazing oven fried chicken every single time. I guarantee it. It works like magic. The breading doesn’t fall off and you seriously have mouth watering, crispy as heck chicken that you didn’t have to deep fry!
Let’s be honest, who wants to deep fry anything in the summer? Hot oil smoking up your house? Umm, no thanks.
You can also cook this on a baking sheet in the BBQ, so you don’t have to heat up your house!
I was sent some boxes of Chex cereal to come up with a recipe and this would be my creation! Chex is gluten free and the first thing I thought of was my oven fried chicken recipe. I haven’t made it in a while and the chance to make it gluten free was exactly what I was looking for.
You also want to use margarine in this recipe as it doesn’t burn like butter does, it has a higher smoke point. Don’t be tempted to switch, not when you are cooking at 400 F!
Now, you have to remember the three important things I started this post with. That’s how you make some seriously divine oven fried chicken!
Happy cooking everyone!
PIN THIS RECIPE to your DINNER RECIPES Boards and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Chex Oven Fried Chicken (gluten free)
- Prep Time
- 5 minutes
- Cook Time
- 35 minutes
- Main Course
- Karlynn Johnston
- 8 chicken thighs
- 1 1/2 cups of finely crushed Rice Chex cereal
- 2 tbsp Old Bay Seasoning
- two large eggs
- 1/3 cup melted margarine
- Place crushed Chex and seasoning in a bowl; combine.
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl.
- Dip each chicken thigh in the crumbs, then the egg mixture then back in the crumbs to fully coat.
- Place chicken thighs on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle the melted margarine over the top of the chicken thighs, coating each as much as you can.
- Place in the fridge for half a hour.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until the chicken reaches a temperature of 185. (chicken thighs are better when cooked slightly longer!)
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
Disclosure: I am part of the Summer With Chex Blogger Campaign with Mom Central Canada and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.