I did NOT NAME this Man-Catching Oven Baked Fried Chicken, I’m just putting that out there right now off the bat! This is one of the oldest and most popular oven baked fried chicken recipes on my website and this was named Man Catchin’ chicken by someone on Facebook years and years ago and the name has STUCK with everyone! Sorry not sorry, I find it hilarious!
The Best Oven Baked Fried Chicken Recipe
I have been meaning to re-shoot the photos and republish this recipe for years now. I think it is one of the most under-loved recipes on my entire website, I keep thinking to myself ” If only everyone knew how delicious and easy this chicken is!” So now I’m bringing my oven baked chicken back, with a brand new name. I’d like to thank Kristina’s husband ( I’ll fill this in with a name if he comes forward later) for the name. When she told me on my Facebook Page that she was making my oven baked chicken that her husband called ” Man Catching Chicken” and everyone started calling it that….. I knew that it was getting a new name. Who’s going to argue with a bunch of my readers on Facebook? Not this blogger!
How to Make Oven Baked Chicken
- Whisk together the first five ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Grease a baking sheet large enough for 8 pieces of chicken and set aside.
- Beat the eggs in a small bowl. Line up your bowls and your baking sheet in this order from right to left; egg, flour, then baking sheet.
- First, dip your chicken into the flour mixture and cover it completely. Dip it into the egg mixture, then into the flour mixture again for a second coat.
- Place on the baking sheet. Repeat with all chicken pieces. Place in fridge for half an hour.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Melt the margarine ( or butter!) and drizzle evenly over the top of the chicken pieces.Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the chicken reaches the appropriate temperature (165 for Breast meat, 180 for dark meat) Remove and serve!
How to Make Oven Baked Chicken Step by Step Video
Oven Baked Chicken Breasts Recipe
You are all probably aware that my least favourite cut of chicken to bake is chicken breasts, but this chicken recipe makes the BEST oven baked chicken breasts, bar none. The batter keeps in the moisture and bakes up perfectly. You can even make chicken breast tenders if you want, simply follow the instructions and use strips of chicken breast and reduce the cooking time.I would use skin on chicken breasts for this recipe for the best results, skin off would have a coating and work as well, but it won’t be crispy.
Important Tips & Cooking Advice For Oven Fried Chicken
- I USED to tell everyone not to use butter because it would burn. I LIED hahaha! Thank you to all my readers that tested this recipe over the past 8 years and have weighed in. Hey, I was a fledgling blogger, what did I know way back then? Heck, what do I even know now….
- MAKE SURE to let the chicken sit in the fridge for half an hour. This guarantees a crispy skin that doesn’t fall off right away! This I have never, ever been wrong on and I will stick by my advice! This is the scientific magic that helps this be the best oven fried chicken ever!
- This recipe is probably the best one to make oven fried chicken breasts. Chicken breasts are my least favourite cuts of chicken to oven bake, to be honest. They dry out so easily. This recipe helps prevent chicken breasts from being too dry.
What are the best chicken pieces to use in this recipe?
You can use any and all chicken pieces from chicken thighs, to chicken breasts and even chicken drumsticks! I would dare say that you can even try making chicken wings with it and I think I’ve been inspired to try! Whatever cut of chicken you have on hand, you can use and this recipe will be a success!
So here is an oldie goldie of a recipe you guys! I love a good walk down memory lane – it’s quite the long memory lane when you have been blogging for almost a decade now! Sheesh. We are getting old together, aren’t we?
Here are some other chicken recipes that you might like to try:
- Air Fryer Fried Chicken
- Chex Oven Fried Chicken ( Gluten Free)
- Rosemary Lemon Oven Baked Chicken Thighs
- Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Thighs
- Oven Fried Potato Chip Chicken
Love you more than chocolate,
DON’T FORGET TO PIN THIS RECIPE to your Chicken Recipes or Dinner Ideas Boards and REMEMBER TO FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Man Catching Oven Fried Chicken
- Prep Time
- 40 minutes
- Cook Time
- 40 minutes
- Total Time
- 1 hour 20 minutes
- Main Course
- Karlynn Johnston
- baked chicken, oven baked chicken, oven baked fried chicken
- 1 1/3 cups of flour
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp seasoning salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup of margarine ( or butter!! it works!)
- 8 pieces of your choice of chicken, SKIN ON
- Whisk together the first five ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
- Grease a baking sheet large enough for 8 pieces of chicken and set aside,
- Beat the eggs in a small bowl.
- Line up your bowls and your baking sheet in this order from right to left; egg, flour, then baking sheet.
- First, dip your chicken into the flour mixture and cover it completely.
- Dip it into the egg mixture, then into the flour mixture again for a second coat.
- Place on the baking sheet.
- Repeat with all chicken pieces.
- Place in fridge for half an hour.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
Melt the margarine ( or butter!) and drizzle evenly over the top of the chicken pieces.
Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the chicken reaches the appropriate temperature (165 for Breast meat, 180 for dark meat)
- Remove and serve!
Nutrition facts are calculated using eight skin on baked chicken breasts, however you will want to mix and match eight pieces of drumsticks, thighs and breast pieces in this recipe.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.