This retro Oven Fried Potato Chip Chicken is a classic that I swear everyone’s Grandma used to make! I decided it was high time I fooled around with my Oven Baked Crispy Chicken recipe. also known as Man Catching Oven Fried Chicken, .This is a treat. A salty, greasy, get yo’ love for potato chips treat. There is nothing redeeming about this recipe health-wise. Sorry.
Wait! It’s high in protein! (and sodium…and fat…)
Here’s the thing….I suspect it’s STILL slightly healthier than real fried chicken. Like, cooked in deep oil, saturated with oil, chicken.
Eh. Maybe. But who really cares?
IT’S CHICKEN COATED IN POTATO CHIPS.
Crack open the wine and celebrate that this happened in your house. I suggest a nice crisp white.
I basically took that amazing fried chicken recipe, left out a large amount of the salt and added potato chips. Whew, what a decadent dinner this was! To be honest though, it’s the yummiest fried chicken I’ve had in a long, long time and it wasn’t even really fried. I absolutely love plain potato chips as my snack of choice, so that makes sense.
Let me know if you try this! It’s a great treat dinner!
PIN THIS RECIPE to your DINNER RECIPES Boards and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Oven Fried Potato Chip Chicken
- Prep Time
- 40 minutes
- Cook Time
- 40 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 6-8 pieces of chicken
- 1 1/3 cups of flour
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp seasoning salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 or 3 eggs
- 2 cups crushed potato chips low salt if you don't want too much salt
- 1/3 cup of margarine
- Whisk together the first five ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
- Grease a baking sheet large enough for 8 pieces of chicken and set aside,
- Beat the eggs in a small bowl.
- Line up your bowls and your baking sheet in this order from right to left; egg, flour, smashed chips, then baking sheet.
- First, dip your chicken into the flour mixture and cover it completely.
- Dip it into the egg mixture, then into the broken chips for a second coat.
- Place on the baking sheet.
- Repeat with all chicken pieces.
- Place in fridge for half an hour.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Melt the margarine and drizzle evenly over the top of the chicken pieces.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the chicken reaches the appropriate temperature (165 for Breast meat, 180 for dark meat)
- Remove and serve!
The nutrition on this recipe is incorrect
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.