Confession time you guys.
Honest to Pete, I can’t even look a sweet treat in the eye right now. After endless days of baking delicious goodies for my upcoming cookbook, I seriously can’t even stomach the thought of sugar.
Ok, well that might be taking it a little far, but let’s be honest; the taste testing alone has my sweet tooth more than satisfied. I can’t make a recipe without testing it because my tastebuds are the end all be all judge of what’s going in my book, no offense to my sweetheart husband who is also being forced to taste test everything as well. You don’t want to know what’s hit the garbage. Or the innovative swear words I’ve come up with. 😉
Now, lucky for you, that means I am totally into the dinner dishes for the next while on the blog. There won’t be many desserts these upcoming months, so be forewarned, there might be a bit of a dessert drought here on The Kitchen Magpie. Like I said, I can’t even stare a pie in the eye at this point. I avert my eyes and cry as I taste test.
Because of this crazy love of savoury now, I decided it was high time I fooled around with my Oven Baked Crispy Chicken recipe. Which I have now changed to Man Catching Oven Fried Chicken, thanks to my reader Kristina’s husband, who has dubbed it so.
So if you are looking for a healthier version, make sure to check it out! This version? Um. Dudes. It’s potato chips. Not healthy.
This is a treat. A salty, greasy, get yo’ love for potato chips treat. There is nothing redeeming about this recipe health-wise. Sorry.
Wait! It’s high in protein!
(and sodium…and fat…)
Here’s the thing….I suspect it’s STILL slightly healthier than real fried chicken. Like, cooked in deep oil, saturated with oil, chicken.
Eh. Maybe. But who really cares?
IT’S CHICKEN COATED IN POTATO CHIPS.
Crack open the wine and celebrate that this happened in your house. I suggest a nice crisp white.
I basically took that amazing fried chicken recipe, left out a large amount of the salt and added potato chips. Whew, what a decadent dinner this was! To be honest though, it’s the yummiest fried chicken I’ve had in a long, long time and it wasn’t even really fried. I absolutely love plain potato chips as my snack of choice, so that makes sense.
Let me know if you try this! It’s a great treat dinner!
- 1 1/3 cups of flour
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp seasoning salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 or 3 eggs
- 2 cups crushed potato chips low salt if you don’t want too much salt
- 1/3 cup of margarine
- Whisk together the first five ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
- Grease a baking sheet large enough for 8 pieces of chicken and set aside,
- Beat the eggs in a small bowl.
- Line up your bowls and your baking sheet in this order from right to left; egg, flour, smashed chips, then baking sheet.
- First, dip your chicken into the flour mixture and cover it completely.
- Dip it into the egg mixture, then into the broken chips for a second coat.
- Place on the baking sheet.
- Repeat with all chicken pieces.
- Place in fridge for half an hour.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Melt the margarine and drizzle evenly over the top of the chicken pieces.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the chicken reaches the appropriate temperature (165 for Breast meat, 180 for dark meat)
- Remove and serve!
- Serving Size: 4servings