Everyone loves carrot cake, especially when paired with a sweet and delicious frosting. Instead of having to bake an entire cake, however, why not try making these simple carrot cake muffins to make it easier?
Why not try making your own frosting to pair with your Carrot Cake Muffins using this Maple Frosting recipe? Or try this Canned Sweet Pickled Carrots recipe to use up any carrots that you might have leftover.
Table of Contents
Carrot Cake Muffins
The idea of using carrots in a baked recipe to add sweetness and contrast makes sense, but a lot of people struggle with it when it comes to trying it for the first time.
This recipe should help to convince any naysayers of the flavor and deliciousness of carrot cake. It is simple to make and makes easy, small little muffins that are perfect for handing out to friends and family to get them hooked on carrot cake.
Carrot Cake Muffins Ingredients
Make sure you look at the recipe card at the very bottom for the exact amounts so that you know exactly what to buy for this recipe.
• Granulated sugar
• Baking soda
• Vegetable oil
• Vanilla extract
• Finely shredded carrots
• Walnuts or pecans
How To Make Carrot Cake Muffins
• In a large mixing bowl, add your flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda and stir with a whisk to combine well
• In a medium bowl, add your eggs and whisk them well
• Add in the oil and vanilla and stir well to combine
• Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and stir to combine
• Fold in the shredded carrots until incorporated throughout
• Add your walnuts or pecans if preferred
• Line your muffin tins with paper liners and fill the liners to 2/3 full
• Bake in the preheated oven for 22-25 minutes at 350 Fahrenheit
• Once cooked and lightly browned on top, let the muffins cool in the tin for 15 minutes before removing and cooling completely
• Prepare your favorite frosting, like Maple Frosting and spread it on the muffins, and enjoy
How To Choose Between Walnuts And Pecans
Walnuts and pecans are the almost universal choice when it comes to a crunchy nut, and for a really good reason.
While all nuts are decently crunchy, only walnuts and pecans have that signature “snap” that gives anything you pair with a really pleasant textural sensation.
This recipe gives you the choice of what kind of nuts to use, as both will work well.
Walnuts are definitely the more traditional option when it comes to making anything involving carrot cake. Walnuts also have a slightly more savory connotation, working a little bit better as a contrast to any sweetness.
Pecans, however, have a more satisfying crunch that breaks apart into tasty shards when you bite into them.
If you want a more traditional but slightly less flavorful option, go for walnuts; however, if you want pure crunchiness, as well as a bit more of a sweeter flavor, stick with pecans.
Frostings To Try With Your Carrot Cake Muffins
Carrot cake muffins, and indeed anything involving carrot cake, pretty much require that you serve it with frosting or icing.
This is because of the fact that carrots are surprisingly savory, even when mixed with a lot of other sweet ingredients in the muffin itself.
The most traditional option for anything involving carrot cake is to use a cream cheese frosting. This simple mixture of cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla is the perfect way to add creaminess and sweetness to your carrot cake muffins
For those that don’t enjoy cream cheese frosting, though, there are unending other types of frosting you could make instead.
However, whatever you choose to use, just make sure that it has enough sweetness to help cut through the savoriness of the carrots, and you should be fine.
Looking for more delicious Muffin recipes? Try these out:
Pin This Recipe to Your Desserts Boards and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Learn to cook like the Kitchen Magpie
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you’ll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!Subscribe on YouTube
Carrot Cake Muffins
- Prep Time
- 15 minutes
- Cook Time
- 25 minutes
- cupcakes, Dessert
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 large eggs (beaten)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup finely shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350°
- In a large mixing bowl add your flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda. Stir with a whisk to combine well.
- In a medium bowl add your eggs and whisk them well. Add in the oil and vanilla and stir well to combine.
- Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Fold in the shredded carrots until incorporated throughout.
- Add your walnuts or pecans if preferred.
- Line your muffin tins with paper liners and fill the liners to 2/3 full.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 22-25 minutes. Let the muffins cool in the tin for 15 minutes before removing and cooling completely.
- Prepare your favorite frosting like Maple Frosting and spread on the muffins and enjoy!
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.