This Air Fryer Chicken recipe has had rave reviews from readers for years upon years now- and for good reason! This fried chicken uses no oil and has a crispy, delicious skin over tender chicken meat that your whole family will love!
How to Make Crispy Air Fryer Chicken
This recipe has a coating on the chicken that makes the skin crispy and perfect!
- Pre-heat the Air Fryer to 390 degrees.
- Whisk together the flour, salt and the Old Bay.
- Dredge the chicken through the flour mixture, then into the egg, then back into the flour mixture again. Shake off excess flour very well.
- Place the 4 chicken thighs into the bottom of the AirFryer cooking compartment. Cook for 25 minutes or until the chicken reaches 180 degrees.
- Remove and serve.
What is an Air Fryer?
I am trying out the Phillips Airfryer, an appliance that has been on my to-try list for as long as I can remember. The main point to an Airfryer is that that you can create healthy, homemade meals in mere minutes – with less fat.
As someone that has avoided a deep fryer all of her years – yes, even for my doughnuts chapter in my cookbook I used a large,deep frying pan- I really wanted to try an Airfryer out. The secret to the healthy frying is that the Phillips Airfryer uses their proprietary Rapid Air Technology. Thanks to this technology, the airfryer fries, bakes, roasts and grills with little to no oil, making it a perfect solution for fast, tasty and healthy meals and snacks.
Air Fryer Chicken Breasts
Cooking chicken breasts in the air fryer is just as easy as cooking any other pieces, except that chicken breast can dry out faster. It’s better to use a batter like my recipe to seal in the moisture. If you use skin off you can be prepared for dryer chicken, so if you don’t want to eat the skin simply cook the chicken breast with the skin on and then remove it before eating.
- Prepare the skin on chicken breasts in the batter according to the recipe
- Cook the chicken breast in the Air Fryer for 25 minutes depending on how thick the chicken breasts are.
- If you have large ones they will take longer.
- Chicken breast should be cooked until 165 °F.
How Long Do I Cook Chicken in the Air Fryer?
These chicken thighs were done in 25 minutes, but it depends on the thickness of the meat, if you are using skin on or skin off and what cut of chicken you are using.
- Chicken thighs – cook chicken thighs in the Air Fryer for 25-28 minutes until they reach a temperature of 180-185°F. While you can cook them to 165 °F for safety sake, it’s a widely accepted knowledge among professional cooks that cooking chicken thighs to a higher temperature breaks down the meat fibers more and you end up with more tender chicken thighs.
- Chicken breasts– cook chicken breast in the Air Fryer for 25 minutes depending on how thick the chicken breasts are. If you have large ones they will take longer. Chicken breast should be cooked until 165 °F.
- Chicken tenders – Chicken tenders in the Air Fryer will take only 15-16 minutes to cook, depending on their thickness
Can I Stack Chicken in an Air Fryer?
The Air fryer cooks your food by circulating hot air around it evenly, so that means that for the cooking to happen properly all the surface of your food needs to be exposed to the hot air. I made three chicken thighs in the Phillips Airfryer and they were perfectly crispy . Look at how crispy that skin came out! My son devoured these – as 12 year olds are wont to do – and asked for more! So while I would only place 4 small chicken thighs in the airfryer, this would also work with chicken wings! The airfryer can only handle a certain capacity – see the manual- so it makes only a small meal, say for two people. You can stack the chicken on it’s side if you want, just make sure that there is lots of surface area to cook.
The Phillips Airfryer comes with a fabulous recipe booklet that has 25 delicious recipes. Better yet, the Philips Airfryer app can be downloaded for free and has over 200 recipes; available in multiple languages and platforms so that you can get cooking! Make sure to check out my post on How to Make Bacon in Your Airfryer, it’s another good one!
What I really loved about this chicken is that I used no grease at all. Nada. I put the chicken in there and it cooked up beautifully without a drop of grease added.
The container itself is SO easy to clean. As you can see, you can fit another chicken thigh or random piece of chicken in there, but you want to make sure that you follow the instructions as to the amount of meat that you can place in there. You simply place the food into this little basket and away you go! It’s so easy!
Tips and Tricks for Making Chicken in Your Air Fryer
- Some readers put a small bit of water in the bottom of their Air Fryer to prevent smoking, you can try this at your own risk! Apparently putting a little water in the container under the basket can keep the grease from the food from causing smoke.
- Other readers have sprayed the chicken with cooking spray with good results, but I don’t usually bother as the chicken skin has enough grease in it
- If you are getting a floury skin, then definitely use the cooking spray on the chicken. That means that the flour isn’t absorbing into your egg layer and that you didn’t have enough moisture.
Air Fryer Fried Chicken Video
Some More Chicken Recipes for You to Try:
- Butter Roasted Chicken – The Only Roast Chicken Recipe You’ll Ever Need Again.
- Better-Than-A-Restaurant Rosemary Lemon Butter Chicken
- Creamy Garlic Parmesan Chicken & Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Chicken Stew
- How To Make Homemade Cajun Seasoning
This recipes uses one of my very favourite seasonings in the world : Old Bay Seasoning. It’s a very East Coast spice mix ( I was SO happy to have it in New Jersey when we visited) but this Alberta girl has been using it for years already. Mike and I will simply sprinkle Old Bay onto our chicken drumsticks and roast them thusly, with nothing else on it. You could easily do the same with the chicken drumsticks in the Phillips Airfryer as well, if you want a gluten-free option!
So, who has an airfryer and what do you think about it? Who has been wanting to try an Airfyer like I have? Stay tuned for two more posts where I delve into this appliance and really try it out!
Love you more than chocolate,
PIN THIS RECIPE to your DINNER RECIPES Boards and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
This post has been sponsored by Phillips, but all opinions remain my own.
Delicious "fried" chicken done in an AirFryer! This air fryer chicken is the best recipe out there!
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 egg beaten
- 4 small chicken thighs skin on
- 1 1/2 tbsp Old Bay Cajun Seasoning
- 1 tsp seasoning salt
- cooking spray if desired
Pre-heat the Air Fryer to 390 degrees.
Whisk together the flour, salt and the Old Bay.
Dredge the chicken through the flour mixture, then into the egg, then back into the flour mixture again. Shake off excess flour very well. If you want to, you can spray the chicken with cooking spray lightly at this point, but I don't bother.
Place the 4 chicken thighs into the bottom of the AirFryer cooking compartment. Cook for 25 minutes or until the chicken reaches 180 degrees.
Remove and serve.
Old bay is what makes this so good!