These perfectly seasoned air fryer chicken wings are bursting with flavor, use simple ingredients and are crispy and delicious in no time at all!
Air Fryer Chicken Wings Recipe
The nice thing about an Air Fryer is that you eliminate the need to use messy oil and a deep fryer. Not that I don’t love chicken wings in the deep fryer but the cleaning and smell from it are something I can do without. These Air Fryer chicken wings are delicious because:
- They are easy to make and require very little work.
- It’s super easy to clean-up the air fryer when you are finished.
- They aren’t greasy like they would be if they were done in a deep fryer.
- You get a nice crispy skin without the mess!
How to make Chicken Wings in the Air Fryer
(for full instructions and measurements, see the printable recipe card below, this is just a quick summary.)
This is a recipe my father-in-law came up with that is hugely popular amongst the family. It’s also a really easy seasoning that gives a bit of a different flavor to the wings than something like Salt and Pepper, for instance. This is a super simple recipe that ensures you have delicious chicken wings with a nice crispy skin in under 20 minutes. While we’ve seen plenty of other recipes that call for 30 minutes or more in the air fryer, I think that’s overkill and unnecessary so my goal with this recipe was to come up with a method that was quick and easy without the long wait and I feel like this one nails it.
To get started, you’ll need:
- 1 dozen chicken wings
- celery salt
- garlic powder
- black pepper
- baking powder
Step 1: Pat the chicken wings dry (both sides) using paper towels to remove any excess moisture.
Step 2: Place the chicken wings in a medium-sized bowl and in a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients with a whisk.
Step 3: Sprinkle the dry seasoning over the wings and toss them to evenly coat them with the mixture.
Step 4: Heat your air fryer to the appropriate temperature (note: some air fryers require pre-heating. If yours is the type that does, now is the time to do it)
Step 5: Place the wings in the basket evenly spaced and not touching one another. Close the fryer and cook for 10 minutes, opening the air fryer drawer and shaking them at the 5-minute mark.
Step 6: When done, turn the air fryer up and cook for another 5-10 minutes depending on how crispy / well done you want your wings.
Step 7: Remove and serve hot.
Questions and Answers
Can you use frozen chicken wings in the air fryer?
Yes, you can but it will change the temperatures. I recommend thawing them out and patting them dry as opposed to putting them in frozen. Anything you put in frozen will take significantly longer and may not have the same level of crispness given the large amount of additional moisture being added. However, if you insist on using frozen chicken wings, simply adjust your times and let us know what your final time was in the comments for others who have the same question.
Can you store the leftovers?
Of course, simply refrigerate any leftovers in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to three days.
Can I make these in the oven?
Yes, you can. Simply follow the cooking instructions in our Salt and Pepper Chicken Wings post but be forewarned, they won’t be as crispy when done in the oven!
Don’t forget to try our other great Air Fryer recipes like:
PIN THIS RECIPE to your Chicken and Appetizers Boards and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Learn to cook like the Kitchen Magpie
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!Subscribe on YouTube
Air Fryer Chicken Wings - Seasoned
- 12 split chicken wings (drumettes and wingettes)
- 1/3 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/3 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/3 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pat your chicken wings dry and place into a medium sized bowl.
- Whisk together the celery salt, garlic powder, black pepper and baking powder.
- Sprinkle the seasoning over the wings, tossing them in the bowl to cover them evenly with the spices.
- Turn your air fryer on to 350 °F. Preheat if yours is the type that needs to preheat.
- Place the wings into the air fryer basket, making sure that they are not touching and have circulation space.
- Cook at 350 °F for 10 minutes. Open the basket and shake at the 5 minute mark.
- Turn your air fryer up to 400 °F (or higher if your model allows it.) Cook the wings for 5-10 minutes, or more on this hotter temperature to crisp the outside. Cook until the wings reach your desired crispiness, shaking every 5 minutes.
- Remove and serve hot.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.