This delicious and easy taco soup can be made with ground beef or even chicken or turkey for an incredible healthy supper for the family! It is mildly spicy and full of rich, Tex Mex flavor.
Taco soup definitely isn’t the kind of thing that you would find in Mexico, especially with a large number of canned ingredients as in this recipe.
However, not everyone is lucky enough to be easily able to source high-quality, fresh ingredients, and cans are a great substitute. Plus, there is just something amazingly delicious about those little cans of diced green chili peppers that even the fresh kinds don’t quite replicate.
Depending on your red meat preferences, you can easily sub in either chicken or turkey for this recipe. Just remember that if you do use turkey, you probably don’t want to drain away any excess fat, as turkey can be dry if separated from what little fat it has.
Taco Soup Ingredients
Make sure you look at the recipe card at the very bottom for the exact amounts so that you know exactly what to buy for this recipe.
• Ground beef, or chicken or turkey
• medium white onion
• minced garlic
• Taco seasoning mix
• Can of black beans
• Can fo sweet corn
• Can of tomato sauce
• Beef broth
• Can of diced tomatoes
• Can of diced mild green chili peppers
• Fresh cilantro
• Lime wedges
• Tex Mex cheese
• Corn tortillas
How To Make Taco Soup
• In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, brown the beef along with the onion.
• Drain excess fat, then sauté the garlic until fragrant.
• Add in the taco seasoning and sauté for another 2 minutes.
• Add in the beans, corn, tomato sauce, broth, tomatoes, and chili peppers
• cover & bring to a simmer for 15 minutes
• Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro, ladling into serving bowls and topping with cheese, avocados, and tortilla chips
• Serve with extra lime wedges
How To Make Your Own Taco Seasoning For This Recipe
Pretty much any supermarket will stock a wide away of different Mexican seasoning blends, including a usually typical and delicious taco seasoning mix.
However, the thing about most taco seasoning blends is that they are never going to be as good as some homemade, individually balanced seasonings instead.
To make your own seasoning blend, try to think of your favorite seasonings in any Mexican cuisine and incorporate them into your spice blend.
Things like cumin, cayenne, paprika, and garlic powder are a must, but if you can get lucky enough to find some ancho or chipotle chili powder, throw those in as well.
To really amp up the intensity of your spice blend, why not try and use the fresh equivalents?
Whole cumin seeds, toasted in a dry pan over medium heat and then rushed in a food processor or a mortar and pestle are way better than preground spices.
Even more amazing is actually whole, dried chilis. Some dried ancho and chipotle peppers, with the stems and seeds, removed, chopped into bits, and toasted before being ground into a powder and used to make for an absolutely incredible Tex Mex spice blend.
Toppings for The Soup
You can top this with almost anything you want!
- Have a couple of taco shells that you didn’t use up? Crunch them on top of the soup like crackers!
- Avocadoes are amazing and my favorite
- Shredded cheese melts perfectly on top
- Tortilla chips of any kind are lovely on top
- Chopped green onion
Looking for more delicious Main Meals? Try these out:
Enjoy and happy cooking!
Pin this recipe to your Dinner Recipes Boards and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you’ll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!
- Prep Time
- 20 minutes
- Cook Time
- 30 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1 pound ground beef or ground chicken or turkey
- 1 medium white onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- one 1.25 ounce package taco seasoning mix
- one 15 ounce can black beans rinsed
- 2 cups sweet corn canned or frozen, drained
- one 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 cups beef broth more as needed
- one 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- one 4 ounce can diced mild green chile peppers
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- fresh lime wedges
- shredded Tex Mex cheese
- diced avocado
- corn tortilla chips etc
- In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, brown the beef along with the onion. Drain excess fat, then sauté the garlic until fragrant. Add in the taco seasoning and sauté for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the beans, corn, tomato sauce, broth, diced tomatoes, and chile peppers. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro.
- Ladle into serving bowls and top each soup with the cheese, chopped avocadoes and tortilla chips/strips. Serve with lime wedges on the side for each person to squeeze into their soup once served.
- nutrition doesn’t include toppings
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.