Who says every bread recipe needs to be savory and ordinary? This recipe for strawberry bread uses fresh strawberries, milk, and lemon zest to create a tender, fruity and delicious bread that is perfect when served with coffee.
While fresh strawberries aren’t always easy to come by throughout the year, this recipe is a perfect way to use up all of the leftover strawberries that don’t quite make the cut.
It is also a great way to sneak some extra fruit into your diet while still being able to enjoy a rich and delicate bread base as well.
The addition of lemon zest might seem surprising, but it actually doesn’t make the bread taste like lemons; instead, it gives it just a touch of that comforting, delicious acidity and citrus aroma that helps balance out all of the other flavors.
Strawberry Bread Ingredients
Don’t forget to look at all of the ingredients you need for this recipe in the recipe card at the bottom for full measurements and quantities.
- Granulated sugar
- Almond extract (or vanilla)
- Lemon zest
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Vanilla icing glaze
How To Make Strawberry Bread
- Grease a 9x5x3 loaf pan.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until creamy and smooth using an electric mixer or hand beater in a large bowl.
- Once combined, add in the eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl as you go.
- Stir in the lemon zest and milk until completely mixed in.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and stir until mixed well.
- Toss the strawberries in a small amount of all-purpose flour, and then fold them into the batter.
- Pour or spoon the batter into the loaf pan, smoothing out the top, and bake for 60 minutes at 350 Fahrenheit or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack completely, top with vanilla icing glaze, and serve.
Do You Have To Use a Prepared Vanilla Icing Glaze?
The best thing to top this strawberry bread with is a packet of prepared vanilla icing glaze you can buy at stores.
Not only is it super convenient, but it's just sweet enough to work with the bread while having the perfect texture as well.
However, if you want to make it yourself, it is pretty easy.
Just mix together powdered sugar with a small amount of milk and a bit of vanilla extract. It requires really very little milk, so add in the milk only a little bit at a time, mixing it really thoroughly in-between additions.
The problem with making it yourself is that it is both messy and very imprecise. While you can make it as sweet as you like it, it can seem pretty challenging to end up with the right texture.
Almond or Vanilla Extract For This Recipe?
This recipe gives the option of either using almond or vanilla extract; so, which should you choose?
Vanilla extract is the classic, familiar flavor addition that gives everything just a little bit of that warm richness of vanilla. Almond extract, however, gives the bread a tangy, slightly nutty flavor profile that is hard to beat.
You could also easily use both in this recipe, but make sure that you don’t use too much – adding too much vanilla and almond extract could result in your strawberry bread tasting more like vanilla and almonds than strawberries.
Looking for more delicious Quick Bread recipes? Try these out:
- Amazing Orange Cake
- Six Week Raisin Bran Refrigerator Muffins
- Pumpkin Cranberry Bread
- Zucchini Banana Bread
Pin this to your Breads or Desserts Recipes Boards and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!
- Prep Time
- 20 minutes
- Cook Time
- 55 minutes
- Breakfast, Dessert
- 1 loaf
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract or vanilla
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries washed, hulled and cut into smaller pieces
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- vanilla icing glaze
- Preheat your oven to 350 °F. Grease a standard loaf pan ( 9x5x3 inches approximately) and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until creamy and smooth. Beat in the eggs, one at a time until fully combined. Mix in the extract, lemon zest and milk until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add into the butter mixture and stir until mixed in well. Toss the strawberries in the flour then stir in the berries until they are just mixed in.
- Spoon into the prepared loaf pan, smoothing out the top. bake for 55-60 minutes or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool until you can touch the pan safely. Turn out onto a rack to cool completely.
- Glaze with my Vanilla Icing Glaze when fully cooled.
- The vanilla icing glaze is not calculated in the nutritional info.
- The calories are for the entire loaf, you can divide by the amount of slices you cut to figure out each slice.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.