I love a good loaf cake and my amazing orange cake is no exception! What a welcome burst of orange-flavored sunshine this was in the middle of a seriously cold winter here. Sometimes you just have to bake up something that cheers you up with the mere taste of it – and that’s what this orange bread did.
Love loaf style cakes / breads? Try my Cranberry Orange Bread or Strawberry Bread too!
Table of Contents
Oranges are cheap, cheerful, and plentiful year-round, which is exactly why we should be cooking and baking with them. Combined with my orange icing glaze (linked to in the recipe card below), this makes an amazing dessert or even a breakfast with a nice cup of coffee!
They key to this recipe is to try and use only the very best quality ingredients that you can find. When you have such a simple recipe, the basic ingredients really stand out, so make sure you find the highest quality possible.
To make this delicious loaf cake, you’ll need the following ingredients. Make sure to check the recipe card below for exact measurements and full instructions.
- granulated sugar
- large eggs
- orange zest
- orange juice
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- orange icing glaze
How to Make Orange Cake
Preheat your oven to 350 °F, grease a standard loaf pan, and set aside. Beat together the butter and sugar until creamy and smooth then add in the eggs, one at a time until fully combined. Mix in the orange zest and juice until combined.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add into the butter mixture and stir until mixed in well.
Spoon into the loaf pan, smoothing out the top. Bake until a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Glaze with my Orange Icing Glaze when fully cooled.
Choosing the best oranges for your orange cake
I have good luck usually with Sunkist when I can find them, it seems that there is a better quality to them when they have that label. Cara Cara oranges are also a good bet for juice and flavour, they are slightly pink inside as well.
When it comes down to picking a good orange to use, try to find which ones are really thick-skinned and avoid them at all costs – those are always terrible inside. If you can, try to find Florida-grown oranges, those are usually the best but when everything is off-season you’re going to have to look extra hard for good oranges.
Tips & Tricks
- Find oranges with the brightest, best color on the outside. Smell the oranges when you are picking them. Sometimes you can get a really good sense of the orange inside when it smells very fragrant. That also means that the oils in the peel are strong, which means you will get a strong flavor when you zest it.
- Pick the freshest, best oranges that you can find for this cake.
- Look for oranges that have healthy peels on the outside, remember that you are going to zest the peel so look for skin that is unblemished.
- This loaf cake will stay in a container for 3 days at room temperature, refrigerating it will make it hard. I am sure your family will eat it up within those 3 days.
- Make sure to use my Orange Icing Glaze on this orange loaf cake, it is the best! If you want to mix and match maybe try out my Lemon Icing Glaze for a crazy good citrus loaf cake!
Happy baking everyone!
PIN THIS RECIPE to your DESSERT RECIPES Boards and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Learn to cook like the Kitchen Magpie
Flapper Pie and a Blue Prairie Sky
A Modern Baker’s Guide to Old-Fashioned Desserts
The Prairie Table
Suppers, Potlucks & Socials: Crowd-Pleasing Recipes to Bring People Together
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you’ll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!Subscribe on YouTube
Amazing Orange Cake
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 1 hour
- Total Time
- 1 hour 10 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons orange zest
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- orange icing glaze
- Preheat your oven to 350 °F. Grease a standard loaf pan ( 9x5x3 inches approximately) and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until creamy and smooth. Beat in the eggs, one at at a time until fully combined. Mix in the orange zest and juice until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add into the butter mixture and stir until mixed in well.
- Spoon into the prepared loaf pan, smoothing out the top. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool until you can touch the pan safely. Turn out onto a rack to cool completely.
- Glaze with my Orange Icing Glaze when fully cooled.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
Made this recipe?
Share a photo of what you made on Instagram or Facebook and tag me @thekitchenmagpie or hashtag it #thekitchenmagpie.
Please rate this recipe in the comments below to help out your fellow cooks!
Comments & Recipe Tips Share a tip or comment!
Thank you for this delicious recipe, Karlynn. Followed your easy-to-follow instructions to a “T” and made two perfect loaves. FABULOUS orange flavours. Thanks again!
I love this recipe. I’ve made it multiple times, including just now. I don’t know why the other commenter’s recipe didn’t turn out, but I’ve never had a problem with it. I used two oranges which gave me a hair over 1/2 c juice and plenty of orange zest. I don’t adjust or add anything to the recipe except for the glaze. I don’t make the glaze because I find it plenty flavorful and sweet without it. Maybe one day I should try it, though.
Barbara Johnston says
This came out so disgusting i suggest none of you waste your time and make this. it has absolutely no flavor at all !!!