Raise your hand if you ate this Sour Cream Ground Beef Noodle Casserole as a kid. This is a very retro recipe and so easy that Mr Magpie made it! Yes, the cocktail shaking man in the house made a casserole for dinner and it was amazing! I won’t let him give up his job as Head Cocktail Maker anytime soon though!
Sour Cream Ground Beef Noodle Casserole is comfort food in a pan!
Again, Mike didn’t think that he was going to like this dish. I think he has a problem with casseroles. I think that HE thinks that he doesn’t like them. (did that sentence make sense? It did in my head….). I swear he believes that he doesn’t like casseroles. Yet every time we make a casserole like my crazy popular Johnny Marzetti casserole or my Slow Cooker Baked Ziti he loves them. LOVES them. So maybe we will just let him keep thinking that he doesn’t like them, because it’ not worth the argument.
I have a suspicion that once upon a time he ate a casserole that was far too rich for his taste and decided that casseroles weren’t his thing. Well, too bad for him because he married me and I love a good casserole. Casseroles are lifesavers during the busy week full of work, school, swim team etc.
Tips & Tricks for Making Sour Cream Ground Beef Noodle Casserole
- You can easily switch the type of noodles that you use in this casserole. Egg noodles are fantastic, elbow macaroni would also work but since they are so small it will fall apart a little bit more – but hey, it would be a sour cream ground beef mac and cheese, I guess!
- If you are looking to make it lighter, you can use ground turkey, low fat cottage cheese, low fat sour cream and low fat cheese. I’d also sub in whole wheat noodles. Just remember that low fat foods won’t have the same texture to them but they’ll still taste great.
- Leave out the green onions if you have kids that don’t like them – or you don’t like crunchy things in the middle of your casserole. Mike and I are crazy about green onions so this was perfect for us!
- It’s really important to cook the noodles to al dente, you don’t want this to be mushy.
Pin This Recipe To Your Supper or Dinner Ideas Boards and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Sour Cream Ground Beef Noodle Casserole
This retro and classic Sour Cream Ground Beef Noodle Casserole is going to be a favourite with your family, guaranteed!
- Prep Time
- 20 minutes
- Cook Time
- 25 minutes
- Total Time
- 45 minutes
- Main Course
- Karlynn Johnston
- 3 cups dry rotini pasta
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 1 15 oz can of tomato sauce Flavoured is best
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan/Asiago/Reggiano shredded cheese
- 3/4 cup green onions diced
- 3 cups Mexican Cheese Blend shredded
Preheat your oven to 350°F. Spray 13x9-inch baking pan and set aside.
Cook the pasta until it's al dente (still have some texture to it so it's not mushy when it bakes.) Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. Toss with a little bit of olive oil if desired to prevent it from sticking and set aside.
In a large skillet, fry the beef and white onion together for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onions are soft and the beef is no longer pink; drain the grease.. Stir in the tomato sauce, garlic and pepper. Stir and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
In s large bowl, mix together the sour cream, cottage cheese, shredded Parmesan cheese mixture and 1/2 cup of the green onions. IF you have picky eaters leave the green onions out I learned the hard way! You can top with green onions on personal servings instead.
Mix the pasta into the sour cream mixture until coated completely.
Spoon half of the pasta mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with half of the beef mixture and 1 cup of the Mexican cheese blend. Repeat with pasta mixture, beef mixture and remaining 2 cups of Mexican cheese. If you want it cheesier on top, add more cheese!
Bake in the preheated oven, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes or until the casserole is thoroughly heated and the cheese is melted.
Top with the remaining green onions.
If you want to make this taste like lasagna, add in 2 tsp Italian seasoning to the tomato and beef mixture ( or to taste) and use only mozzarella shredded cheese.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods etc.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.