You need just five ingredients to create this flavorful crock pot cream of asparagus soup and it’s one my favorite dishes to make during a busy week! All you need is a few minutes to spare and your slow cooker on hand to do the rest. If you like asparagus, you like soup, and you like having tasty leftovers to rely on mid-week, it’s a no-brainer.
How to Make Crock Pot Cream of Asparagus Soup
I don’t actually fry the onions or the garlic before I make this soup, and you can if you like. They both will cook in the slow cooker over the day and it saves you the time of frying them. If you enjoy caramelizing your onions before you add them to soup then, by all means, fry them up quickly and throw them in!
- Add the first 4 ingredients to the crockpot, combine, and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Puree the ingredients with a hand blender until smooth before serving.
- Stir in the cream/coconut milk until it’s completely combined.
- Serve with an extra dash of cream on top or my buttery garlic homemade croutons if you aren’t keeping this low carb.
How Do I Thicken My Cream of Asparagus Soup?
If you prefer a thicker soup, you can easily make a cornstarch slurry. Take 2-3 tablespoons of cornstarch and mix it with cold water until it’s smooth, then whisk it into the slow cooker rapidly. This will instantly thicken up the soup. However, this turns it from low carb into very carb!
How Do I Make Vegan Cream of Asparagus Soup?
It’s super easy to make this soup vegan! Just use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth and replace the cream with coconut milk.
How Long Do Leftovers Last?
Your leftover cream of asparagus soup will last for 3-4 days in the refrigerator. If you want it to last longer, you can freeze it making sure to use heavy freezer bags or airtight containers. Once frozen, this soup will last for about 3 months!
Tips and Tricks For Making Crock Pot Cream of Asparagus Soup
- Sometimes I like to add a swirl of pureed roasted red pepper to the sour cream for that extra touch!
- You don’t have to serve it warm, this soup is just as delicious served chilled.
- It’s hard to freeze soups that have a milk base, so try to freeze the soup WITHOUT the milk, then add it after when you defrost the soup base.
More Soup Options
Here a few more of my favorite soup recipes:
Cabbage Soup Recipe: a super healthy but incredibly yummy soup that’s more than just a fad!
Magpie’s Cheesy Bacon Potato Soup: salty, creamy, bacony awesomeness. Need I say more?
Cream of Celery Soup: celery doesn’t get the recognition it deserves, and you’ll be missing out if you don’t give this a try!
Creamy Cauliflower Leek Soup: this is a super-duper comfort food and one of the best soups for to warm up your tummy!
PIN THIS RECIPE to your LOW CARB or SOUP RECIPES Boards and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!Subscribe on YouTube
Simple Cream of Asparagus Soup Recipe
- Prep Time
- 5 minutes
- Cook Time
- 8 hours
- Total Time
- 8 hours 5 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 2 pounds green asparagus washed and ends trimmed
- 1 cup white onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 5 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or full fat coconut milk
- cracked black pepper to taste
- Combine the first four ingredients into your crockpot.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- When you are ready to serve the soup, take a hand blender and puree the ingredients until smooth.
- Stir in the cream or coconut milk until combined. Serve with an extra dash of cream on top. Enjoy!
- nutritional info will vary depending on the dairy or non dairy products you use
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.