These shredded chicken tacos are the perfect easy weeknight dinner! Prep your toppings and avocado crema while the chicken cooks for a fast but incredibly delicious meal!
Shredded Chicken Tacos
Chicken tacos might not be as popular as other types of Mexican food, but they are also some of the easiest to make yourself. Plus, chicken is super cheap to make, especially when you prepare it using the convenient Instant Pot.
The trick with these shredded chicken tacos is to make sure that you’ve got plenty of really tasty toppings to serve with them. Just some chicken on some tortillas wouldn’t be good enough – you need some tasty avocado crema, you need sliced Jalapenos for spiciness, and you need all sorts of little extras like radishes and lime wedges.
Shredded Chicken Tacos Ingredients
Make sure you look at the recipe card at the very bottom for the exact amounts so that you know exactly what to buy for this recipe.
• Taco seasoning
• Sliced, pickled Jalapenos
• Chicken broth
• Chicken breasts
• Chopped fresh cilantro
• Sliced radishes
• Lime wedges
• Shredded cheese
• Shredded lettuce
• Diced tomatoes
How To Make Shredded Chicken Tacos
• Combine the taco seasoning, salsa, chicken broth, and jalapenos in an Instant Pot
• Place the chicken breasts in an even layer
• Lock the lid into place and make sure the valve is set to seal, according to the manufacturer’s instruction
• Cook for 15 minutes on manual / high pressure
• Prepare the Avocado crema and other desired toppings
• When the cooking is done, let the pressure naturally release for 15 minutes, and then quick release
• Using two forks, shred and mix the chicken breast into the sauce, ensuring that all of the pieces are shredded and totally coated in the sauce
• Remove, place in a bowl, and serve the chicken in the tortillas with desired toppings
How To Present Your Shredded Chicken Tacos For The Table
This dish is ultimately really super simple and doesn't require much effort at all to make. However, there is no reason why your guests or family should realize that, so why not pretty it up a bit and help make it attractive?
Instead of preparing all of the tacos for whomever you are serving these to, try and put all of the different parts on separate plates and bowls.
Have a warm bowl with the tortillas on, as well as a bowl with all of the shredded chicken in it separate. Make a separate bowl for each of your toppings as well, each with its own little spoon to make it easy for guests to serve themselves.
Once you put all of this out on the table, it will look a lot like a Mexican feast you would get at a restaurant, despite the fact that all you did was prepare some Instant Pot chicken and serve it with a few toppings!
What Kind Of Tortillas & Toppings Should You Use?
For this recipe, any kinds of toppings that you prefer are going to work just fine, as long as they all work together.
A lot of people have very strong opinions about what kind of tortillas are acceptable in a recipe like this, though, so make sure you pick the right one when you are serving!
Corn tortillas, made from masa harina corn flour, are a lot more traditional in Southern Mexico, whereas regular wheat flour tortillas are more of a Northern Mexico, as well as North American, choice. To cover your bases, consider buying both or even making your own to change it up!
Other toppings you might want to try with this recipe could be things like small dried chilies, like chile de arbols, which are perfect when crushed into pieces and used to top tacos.
You can also do things like diced raw white onion or just some sliced avocado on its own as well. The more toppings, the better!
Looking for more delicious Dinner recipes? Try these out:
Pin this recipe to your DINNER RECIPES Board and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!
Shredded Chicken Tacos
- Prep Time
- 25 minutes
- Cook Time
- 15 minutes
- Main Course
- Karlynn Johnston
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- one 418 ml jar salsa
- one 100 ml can pickled sliced jalapeños drained
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Avocado Crema
- chopped fresh cilantro
- sliced radishes
- lime wedges
- Shredded cheese
- Shredded lettuce
- Diced tomatoes
- Combine the taco seasoning, salsa, chicken broth and jalapenos in an Instant Pot.
- Place the chicken breasts on top in an even layer.
- Lock the lid into place and make sure the valve is set to seal according to the manufacturers instructions.
- Cook for 15 minutes on manual/high pressure.
- Prepare the Avocado crema at this point and prepare your toppings.
- When the cook time is up, let the pressure naturally release for 15 minutes then quick release any remaining pressure according to the manufacturers instructions.
- Use two forks to shred and mix the chicken breast into the sauce, ensuring that all pieces are shredded and coated in the sauce.
- Remove and place into a bowl. Serve the chicken in the tortillas with desired toppings.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.