Lean and protein-loaded, these chicken breasts are seasoned with homemade chicken spice and then cooked to tender, juicy perfection in the Instant Pot! A super reliable and easy weeknight dinner!
Instant Pot Chicken Breast
Chicken breasts are a delicious, easy, and reliable protein that is not only super cheap but is also so simple to make, especially when you use an Instant Pot for cooking it.
This recipe should make for a tender and well cooked chicken breast that is then paired with some rich and flavorful chicken gravy with very little effort.
Make sure that you pair this with some really great sides – or just crumble the chicken breast up and eat it as a protein-rich meal on its own!
Instant Pot Chicken Breast Ingredients
Make sure you look at the recipe card at the very bottom for the exact amounts so that you know exactly what to buy for this recipe.
• Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
• Olive oil
• Chicken seasoning
• Chicken broth
• Cornstarch slurry
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Breast
• Pat the chicken breasts completely dry with a paper towel
• Season the breasts generously and set on a plate
• Add the olive oil to the Instant Pot and heat on sauté until it is hot and shimmering
• Place the chicken breasts into the hot oil and sear on all sides
• If using, add the Instant Pot trivet to the bottom and top with the chicken breasts, leaving space between each breast
• Close the lid, set the valve to sealing, and then set to manual / high for 5 minutes
• Once done, release the pressure naturally for 10 minutes, and then quick release and remove the chicken to a serving platter
• Prepare the cornstarch slurry
• Add enough chicken broth to the drippings to the bottom of the Instant Pot until you have 2 cups total
• Set the pot to sauté and bring to a boil
• Whisk enough of the cornstarch slurry to thicken it
• Cook for another minute or two, and then turn off the Instant Pot and ladle the gravy to a server and then serve
Can You Cook Frozen Chicken Breasts In The Instant Pot?
This is a great recipe to use up some leftover frozen chicken in because you only really need to make a small adjustment to the cooking time to make it suitable.
If you want to use frozen chicken without defrosting it first, just up the time that the chicken cooks in the Instant Pot to 11 minutes, instead of just 5. That should be enough to totally cook it all the way through. If you are finding that it is still isn’t enough, feel free to turn the Instant Pot back on after removing the lid for at least another couple of minutes.
What To Serve With Your Chicken Breast
This recipe obviously only really makes a simple chicken breast and a bit of gravy to go with it, so it is obviously begging to be served with some side dishes.
A great side dish for this would be some simple mashed potatoes! Just boil up some good starchy potatoes in some salted water, and then mash them with a little bit of milk, salt, pepper, and as much butter as you can afford to add to your diet!
Do You Need To Use A Trivet?
A trivet is not something that everyone has at home, but they usually do come with the purchase of an Instant Pot.
For this recipe, you don't necessarily need to use a trivet when cooking your chicken but is a good addition to help stop the chicken from sticking to the very bottom.
One thing to consider is that if you do use a trivet, you might not get as many tasty brown bits, but if you struggle with your chicken sticking to the bottom, it is a good idea to use one.
Looking for more delicious Chicken recipes? Try these out:
Pin this recipe to your DINNER RECIPES Board and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!
Instant Pot Chicken Breast
- Prep Time
- 5 minutes
- Cook Time
- 5 minutes
- Main Course
- Karlynn Johnston
- 4 large chicken breasts boneless and skinless
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- one batch chicken seasoning
- 1 cup chicken broth
- cornstarch slurry
- 2 cups drippings
- Pat the chicken breasts dry with a paper towel. Season each breast generously with the chicken seasoning and set on a plate.
- Add the olive oil to the Instant Pot and press the sauté button. Heat the olive oil until it's hot and shimmering.
- Using tongs place the chicken breasts into the hot oil and sear on all sides then remove and set aside.
- Place the Instant Pot brand trivet (it comes with it) into the bottom of the Instant Pot, then place each chicken breast on top, leaving space between each breast if possible.
- Close the lid, set the valve to sealing. (Follow all manufacturer's instructions to seal precisely.)
- Set to Manual/ High Pressure for 5 minutes. If using frozen chicken breasts set to 11 minutes.
- Once it's done pressure cooking and the timer has gone off, let the Instant Pot release naturally for 10 minutes then quick release the remaining pressure according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Remove the chicken to a serving platter and let rest while you make the gravy.
- Prepare the cornstarch slurry.
- Add in enough chicken broth to the drippings in the bottom of the Instant Pot so that you have around 2 cups total. This doesn't have to be exact, you simply just need to add enough chicken broth so that you have 4 large servings of gravy.
- Set the Instant Pot to sauté and bring the drippings to a boil.; Slowly whisk in enough of the cornstarch slurry to thicken it. Cook for another minute or two, then turn off the Instant Pot and ladle the gravy into your gravy server.
- Serve the chicken with the gravy. Mashed potatoes are great with this!
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.