Are you ready for this? Are you ready for the best frosting ever? My new Pistachio Pudding Buttercream Frosting is a dream frosting for pistachio lovers!!! Yes, I had a pistachio pudding problem. You know this, I know this. We’re good.
So of course, when I whipped up my Homemade Pistachio Pudding Cake, I knew that there wasn’t going to be any plain frosting on top of that beauty. Nuh-uh. We were going full-bore, pedal to the metal, kick the tires and light the fires pistachio overload.
Now this recipe took me a while to get it right. There’s a certain method you have to use, so please follow my instructions carefully. If not, you end up with a gritty icing.
I don’t want to see you have any temper tantrums like I did. I swear, I’m in the wrong business some days. When I ruined my first batch of icing, the air was blue, smoke was coming out of my ears and I was just mad. This is why I do my baking while the kids are at school. Mama has a potty mouth when she ruins recipes.
But hey, that’s what happens when you develop recipes. Sometimes you have enough knowledge that you nail it every time and others you have to completely fubar the method only to learn a lesson and do it differently next time.
I’ll try to remember I said that next time I’m having a temper tantrum over wasted ingredients.
When you use this buttercream icing, make sure that you have some fresh pistachios to smash up and scatter over the top of the cake. It is just perfect when you do.
Oh and salted pistachios are the best of course! Add that little zip of salt to this via the butter in the icing and the pistachios and it seriously takes it over the top!
There are other pistachio pudding icing recipes that use Cool Whip and pudding mix. I so wasn’t having any of that. I needed a pistachio pudding frosting that was based on my famous Best Buttercream Icing Ever recipe. I wanted something buttery and good and eat-off-the-spoon amazing.
Now this is an icing that you can literally eat off the spoon, it’s so evil. The whole cake is evil!
I like evil.
Happy baking everyone!
Make sure to check out all of my other buttercream frosting recipes!:
Love you more than pistachio pudding,
PIN THIS RECIPE to your FROSTING RECIPES Boards and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tbsp instant pistachio pudding powder
- 2 - 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Using the paddle attachment on a stand mixer, cream the butter until light and fluffy.
- In a measuring cup, combine the milk and the pudding mix until it's completely dissolved. If you do not dissolve it all at this point, you will have gritty icing!
- Beat the pudding mixture into the butter completely.
- Add in the powdered sugar, half a cup at a time, beating in completely.
- Chill the icing for approximately 20 minutes, to allow the jello and the butter to set more completely.
- Use to ice cakes and cupcakes.
- Yield: Approximately 1 1/2 cups of icing. This will frost one standard sized bundt cake perfectly.