I knew once I delved into the evil, evil realm of those pistachio pudding cookies that I made last week that I was a changed girl forever. I had finally caved into trying out pudding mixes in cookies. I’m a convert, I gotta admit it. Then again, we all know that there’s no food snobbery happening around this website, so we’re cool.
When I made those cookies, I had people chiming in from all over on Instagram and Facebook about how much they loved pistachio pudding cake. Of course, I had to google this right away.
Wow. Mind blown.
I also knew that I wanted to create a homemade, non-cake mix, pistachio pudding cake. This would take it over the top, I was sure. To omit the cake mix and create a gorgeous from-scratch cake would blow my mind even more.
Oh you guys. It did.
This is, bar none, the best cake I have ever baked up. I have found Nirvana. Seventh heaven. Whatever you want to call it, this cake is the bomb.
Moist, fluffy, perfect cake.
This cake made me swoon. I teased you all with a photo of it last Sunday and there were more than a few of you swooning as well.
I just can’t stop looking at it.
The icing on the cake (see what I did there?) is literally my new Pistachio Pudding Buttercream Icing recipe.
There are all sorts of pistachio pudding icings out there but not a single buttercream one and you all know my fixation with buttercream icing. I didn’t want a whipped cream based icing, I wanted a delicious, melt in your mouth buttery one.
I am sure you now can all foresee more cakes in my future and there will be more coming, I have a few more ideas. I’m totally into the pudding cakes from scratch now and have a few ideas on how to make them completely from scratch, pudding included!
Happy Baking everyone!
Love you more than pistachio pudding,
I’ve noticed that either people nail this cake, or it falls. If it falls, you didn’t bake it long enough.
PLEASE TEST THE CAKE FOR DONENESS! TEST IN THE MIDDLE, TEST BY THE HOLE IN THE BUNDT PAN. Make sure that it’s absolutely cooked! This IS A BUNDT CAKE AND THEY TAKE FOREVER TO BAKE!!
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups of white granulated sugar
- 1 package of jello instant pistachio pudding 99g
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup chopped pistachios 1/4 cup reserved to the side for topping
- 1 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour a standard Bundt pan.(the 12 cup capacity)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt then set aside.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.Add in the pistachio pudding mix and combine thoroughly.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, making sure each is thoroughly incorporated.
- Mix in the chopped pistachios.
- Combine the milk, oil and vanilla extract in a large measuring cup or bowl.
- Starting with the dry ingredients, alternate pouring a third of the wet and dry ingredients into the bowl, incorporating thoroughly after each addition. You will end on the wet ingredients. Mix on medium speed for 2 minutes after the last addition.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared Bundt pan and bake for 60-70 minutes, or until a tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
I CAN’T ASSERT ENOUGH – IF YOUR CAKE FALLS, YOU DIDN’T BAKE IT ENOUGH!!! TEST IN THE CENTER AND TEST BY THE INNER HOLE IN THE BUNDT PAN.
- Invert the cake onto a baking rack to cool.
- Frost with Pistachio Pudding Buttercream Icing when the cake has completely cooled and sprinkle the remaining pistachios over the icing.
- Serving Size: 10