How on God’s green earth has it taken me THIS LONG to make a fabulous peppermint buttercream frosting? I am the mint girl! I love mint flavoured anything, from sweet to savory dishes. This is one of my very favourite buttercream frostings yet!
To not combine my love of my Best Buttercream Icing recipe with my mint obsession is simply criminal, that’s the only way to put it!
I finally made it for my newest cookie recipe for the Safeway Canada Table Talk blog, where I put together some Christmas Peppermint cookie sandwiches. Oh, those are some good dang cookies folks, you need to head on over there and check those babies out. Mint and chocolate and icing…yes please!
Now that I’ve perfected my peppermint buttercream frosting, it’s time to share it with all of you. A few tips for it:
- Don’t add the candy canes. They weep. You will ruin the icing.
- Play with the cream amount to make it thicker (less) or whippier (more cream)
- Play with the amount of mint flavoring. Go nuts
- Use salted butter, make sure its a good quality one. Remember, if it tastes good plain off the spoon, it will be killer in your icing!
You also can double/triple this recipe, I made it for cookies only so it’s a smaller recipe than I usually make. It would ice only about 6 cupcakes – but I am a heavy icer! Obviously you know that there are recipes coming up uses this icing, because I couldn’t just make the icing by itself.
Well, I could. And I could eat it straight off the spoon and that wouldn’t be wrong. Right?
PIN THIS RECIPE to your DESSERT RECIPES Boards and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Learn to cook like the Kitchen Magpie
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!Subscribe on YouTube
How To Make Peppermint Buttercream Icing
- Prep Time
- 5 minutes
- Total Time
- 5 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1/2 cup of salted butter
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons peppermint flavoring
- 2/3 cup of crushed candy canes -for decorating later
- Using the paddle attachment on a mixer, beat the butter until it's smooth.
- Add in the icing sugar, bit by bit, continuously beating.
- Add in the cream and peppermint extract.
- Whip until completely smooth.
- Use the candy canes as garnish.
- This will double and triple easily.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.