These meatballs with a homemade, made-from-scratch mushroom sauce are for the mushroom lovers out there! The real star of the dish is fresh mushrooms with the added zing of truffle oil to bring that mushroom flavor over the top! The mushroom sauce is so simple and fast to make it will help make dinner easy to whip up.
I like to use premade frozen meatballs to make this a really fast but decadent meal, but you can always make meatballs ahead of time and then freeze them as well.
Meatballs with Homemade Mushroom Sauce
Mushrooms are a favorite of mine in any form, as soon as I see that there is a dish that has mushrooms, I know that it’s the one for me. This is a simple recipe that my sister uses all the time!
Types of Mushrooms You Can Use
Use Porcini, Portobello or any other strong-flavored mushroom of your choice instead of white button, if you can. However, that little bit of truffle oil will help if you can only find white button mushrooms! You can also adjust the amount of truffle oil that you use in this, some people love it and some hate it. I would add more to my sauce because like I said, I am a mushroom flavor freak. It’s my jam. My mushroom jam.
More Meatball Recipes
- Try my Sweet & Sour Meatballs – this truly is the BEST recipe out there! Just use this recipe for meatballs and you are set!
- These Crock Pot Meatballs with Mushroom Gravy are a reader favorite!
- My Mom’s Porcupine Meatballs are the best!
- Want an appetizer meatball? These Grape Jelly Meatballs are it!
I promise that these meatballs with homemade mushroom sauce are truly easy to make. One of the things that I will tell you as a hint is that the stronger flavored the mushrooms, the better it’s going to taste, and don’t skip that truffle oil!
Happy cooking babes!
PIN THIS RECIPE to your DINNER RECIPES Boards and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Learn to cook like the Kitchen Magpie
Flapper Pie and a Blue Prairie Sky
A Modern Baker’s Guide to Old-Fashioned Desserts
The Prairie Table
Suppers, Potlucks & Socials: Crowd-Pleasing Recipes to Bring People Together
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!Subscribe on YouTube
Meatballs with Homemade Mushroom Sauce
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 20 minutes
- Main Course
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1 pound frozen meatballs OR use homemade recipe below
- 1 pound homemade meatballs
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 pound sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon truffle oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt to taste
- Cook the meatballs according to the package directions or use my recipe and prepare the meatballs. Place in a heated oven to keep warm while you prep the sauce.
Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- Melt the butter in a large skillet.
- Add sliced mushrooms to the butter and saute for about 5-10 minutes until the mushrooms are cooked through. Drizzle the truffle oil over the top.
- Push the mushrooms to one side of the pan, then sprinkle the flour over the remaining butter and mix well.
- Combine the milk and chicken broth, then pour over the flour/butter slowly, mixing it in and cook until the sauce has thickened. Mix throughout all of the mushrooms.
- Pour the sauce over the meatballs and serve.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
Made this recipe?
Share a photo of what you made on Instagram or Facebook and tag me @thekitchenmagpie or hashtag it #thekitchenmagpie.
Please rate this recipe in the comments below to help out your fellow cooks!
Comments & Recipe Tips Share a tip or comment!
where is the meatball recipe? The gravy sounds wonderful.
Karlynn Johnston says
The link must has dropped! There’s a link to my favourite meatball recipe on this website!