The best thing to make right away with this homemade Ranch dressing is my delicious homemade BLT Pasta Salad, Party Pinwheels or my Crack Chicken Casserole! (That’s right, a casserole with ranch on it!) You could also make some Air Fryer Chicken Wings, Buffalo Wings and use it for dip (my fave!) or make some Buffalo Chicken Dip instead!
More Homemade Salad Dressings
I love a good homemade salad dressing! Try some of these reader favorites!
- Homemade French Dressing
- Homemade Italian Dressing
- Homemade Russian Dressing
- The Real Green Goddess Dressing
- Blue Cheese Dressing
- Caesar Salad Dressing
- Asian Salad Dressing
Table of Contents
- More Homemade Salad Dressings
- Homemade Ranch Dressing
- Homemade Ranch Dressing Ingredients
- How To Make Homemade Ranch Dressing
- How To Season Your Homemade Ranch Dressing to Your Liking
- What To Serve This Ranch Dressing With?
- Pin This Recipe to Your Sauces and Dressings Recipes Board and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
- Homemade Ranch Dressing Recipe
Homemade Ranch Dressing
Ranch dressing is easily one of the best salad dressings in the world. It is rich, creamy, and delicious, and is even better if you make it from scratch.
Everyone has their favorite type of salad dressing – for some people, it’s blue cheese, and others the more traditional French of classic vinaigrette, but everyone really knows the perpetual favorite has to be a ranch, right?
It’s got all of the flavors you want – it’s tart, it’s tangy, it’s salty, it’s herby, it’s… it’s just really good.
This recipe lets you make it at home with mostly all ingredients that you would have at home anyway! By combining both mayonnaise and sour cream here, you get the best of both worlds and can enjoy plenty of sour tang with all of the fatty goodness of mayo.
Homemade Ranch Dressing Ingredients
Make sure you look at the recipe card at the very bottom for the exact amounts, as there are a few fiddly ingredients here.
• Sour cream
• Dried dill
• Onion powder
• Garlic powder
• Worcestershire sauce
• Lemon juice
• Salt & pepper
How To Make Homemade Ranch Dressing
• Whisk together the mayo, sour cream, buttermilk, and seasonings
• Whisk until smooth and creamy
• Add in the salt, pepper, and lemon juice
• Add more buttermilk as desired until you hit your desired consistency
• Store in a lidded jar and keep in the fridge until needed
How To Season Your Homemade Ranch Dressing to Your Liking
Ranch dressing is a pretty static recipe, but that doesn’t mean you can’t play around a bit with the seasonings and flavorings.
For example, why not alter the quantities of garlic, onion powder, and lemon juice? The balance of garlic and acidity can really drastically alter the flavor profile of ranch.
You can also alter the relative quantity of mayo, and sour cream – both on their own make a perfectly delicious ranch dressing, so feel free to play around with your preferred fat component here. More sour cream will obviously make it sourer, but also more tangy, whereas more mayo gives it a fattier, slightly richer taste.
What To Serve This Ranch Dressing With?
Ranch dressing is traditionally reserved for only serving with salad, but you don’t have to stick to the regular recipes and old-fashioned culinary standards.
Why not use ranch dressing as a dipping sauce for some chicken or pork fresh off the grill? Or just dip chips directly into it and enjoy the citrusy, dill-forward flavor with your favorite salty snacks?
You could also try and use it as a sort of marinade for some chicken or beef – just make sure you don’t leave it too long, as the acidity in the dressing can actually mess up the texture of your meat quite badly if left for more than an hour or two.
Looking for more delicious Salad recipes? Try these out:
Pin This Recipe to Your Sauces and Dressings Recipes Board and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you’ll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!Subscribe on YouTube
Homemade Ranch Dressing
- Prep Time
- 5 minutes
- 18 tablespoons
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk plus more to thin out the dressing if needed
- 3/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 2 teaspoons dried chives
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce to taste
- 1-2 teaspoons lemon juice to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium-sized bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, 1/2 cup of buttermilk and the seasonings. Whisk until smooth and creamy.
- Add in the salt, pepper, and lemon juice to taste.
- If needed, add more buttermilk until you reach your desired consistency.
- Place in a lidded jar and refrigerate until needed. This is best if it can sit in the fridge for a few hours to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Like all salad dressings, use this recipe as a guideline and then add more or less seasonings to your taste. I like mine a little heavier on the dill, of course!
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.