I thought for a moment there that it was spring, so I started getting all spring-like with my recipes. This chicken couscous coleslaw is definitely one of those recipes. It’s April 18th today and as I look out my window, all I see is snow coming down. You just gotta love living in Alberta, I tell you. It was warm enough the week before to make the video for my Campfire Chili Cheese Fries and now the backyard AND the fire pit is covered in snow!
I was craving mandarin oranges the other day and craving couscous and had coleslaw to use up. Throw it all together and add in a lovely Ginger Citrus Dressing and it was a go for lunch!
I almost always have cold chicken of some sort in my fridge and this time around it was chicken breast that was cooked and cold in there. You can also use any leftover chicken meat from a roast chicken as well, it all works!
The real key to the flavour is the Homemade Ginger Sesame Citrus Salad Dressing. You can adjust the taste as you want – I like mine heavy in sesame oil, yum yum! – and drizzle it on top.
If you want to make a delicious vegetarian version, you can even leave out the chicken. The oranges, coleslaw and couscous also make a very good salad together! Throw some pecans or walnuts on it instead and you have one wickedly delicious salad!
Happy salad eating babes! ( bet you never thought you’d see me write that!)
PIN THIS RECIPE to your SALAD RECIPES Boards and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!Subscribe on YouTube
Ginger Citrus Chicken Couscous Coleslaw
- Prep Time
- 15 minutes
- Cook Time
- 10 minutes
- Total Time
- 25 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup couscous dry and unprepared
- 5-6 cups coleslaw mix
- 1-2 10 ounce cans of mandarin oranges, drained
- 1-2 cups chicken breast cooked and chopped
- 1 batch of Homemade Ginger Sesame Citrus Salad Dressing
- In a small saucepan with a lid, bring the chicken broth to a boil. Add the couscous, stir, place the lid on top and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Remove the lid, fluff and cool.
- Combine the couscous and the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl.
- Drizzle one batch of Homemade Ginger Sesame Citrus Salad Dressing on top ( or to taste!!) , then toss gently to mix in. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to let the flavours blend together. Serve cold.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.