If you are looking to use up leftover ham, this Creamy Ham and Noodle Casserole is the way to do it! It’s decadent, fast and major comfort food, all in one casserole dish! This is the best way to make a fast and filling dinner for your family the day after a holiday meal using your leftover ham! If you love ham, my Pineapple Rum Ham is a delicious recipe to enjoy too!
Use Leftover Ham to Make This Creamy Ham and Noodle Casserole !
What makes this ham and noodle casserole so amazing? Canned mushroom soup, of course! Yes, using canned mushroom soup is the key to making this fast and east, not to mention delicious. I added in sour cream and spices so that it wasn’t too bland as a lot of the old casserole recipes are basically soup, noodles and meat, and that’s a little plain for me. Remember, it’s useless to rail against me in the comments for using canned mushroom soup, I love it and it’s my favourite cheat EVER. I swear, you’d think I was roasting baby animals over a fire with the reactions I sometimes get when I used canned mushroom soup! Priorities, people, priorities!
This creamy, decadent ham and noodle casserole will be by go-to for using up leftover ham from now on. The combination of mushroom soup, melted cheese, sour cream, onion and garlic powders….this was comfort food to the max! I don’t know about you, but we usually still have snow on the ground at Easter. ( this year we have so much snow it’s insane), Thanksgiving or Christmas, so this is a perfect ” end of comfort food season” casserole.
Which Canned Soup Flavour do I Use?
There are lots of recipes for ham and noodles casserole and they are all different. Some use canned cheddar soup, some use canned cream of chicken soup and some use canned cream of mushroom soup. Don’t get me wrong, cheddar soup and cream of chicken soup have their places! I use cream of cheddar soup in my Double Cheese Overnight Hashbrown Casserole as I wanted a really cheesy casserole. With ham however, the mushroom soup is my favourite flavour. You can switch it out if you want if you prefer the cheddar or the chicken soup, feel free to use your favourite instead!
Tips & Tricks for Making Creamy Ham & Noodles Casserole
- You can easily switch up the cheese if wanted. Swiss cheese would be amazing in this as well!
- Make sure to chop the ham smaller, into bite sized pieces. You don’t want huge chunks of ham in it. Also clean the fat off of the pieces, it makes for a better casserole and eating experience.
- I would recommend using the canned mushroom soup over the canned chicken or even the cheddar soup that some recipes call for. The mushroom soup is a much better flavour match, trust me!
- You can adjust the seasonings to taste if desired, just do so when you mix the soup and spices together in step 4. Simply taste test and add more of what you desire. I know my Dad would love more garlic in this recipe!
If you are looking for some other great casserole recipes try these:
- Parmesan Chicken Casserole
- Rice and Mushroom Casserole
- Lazy Cabbage Roll Casserole
- Camp Cook’s Parmesan Chicken
Happy cooking! Let me know what you think in the comments below, or if you have any questions ask them and I will get back to you as soon as I can!
Pin This Recipe to Your Dinner Ideas Boards and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!Subscribe on YouTube
Creamy Ham and Noodle Casserole
- Prep Time
- 15 minutes
- Cook Time
- 40 minutes
- Total Time
- 55 minutes
- Main Course
- North American
- Karlynn Johnston
- 8 ounces egg noodles ( 4 to 4 1/2 cups)
- 2 cups chopped cooked ham
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 10 1/2 ounce can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Cook the egg noodles according to package directions. Drain and rinse to remove any starch, set aside.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 °F. Place half of the noodles in buttered 2 quart casserole dish.
- Combine the ham and cheese; sprinkle half of ham mixture over noodles.
- In small bowl, combine soup, sour cream, milk,garlic powder and onion powder.
- Spoon half of soup mixture over the ham layer.
- Then again: noodles, ham/cheese, soup.
- Dot with butter.
- Cover loosely with foil.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until it looks creamy and not soupy. Remove from the oven and serve.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.