Crazy Cake or Wacky Cake, also known as Depression Cake or Vinegar Cake, is a simple chocolate cake recipe that happens to be vegan thanks to a lack of eggs, milk and butter. This one bowl simple cake is so dense and delicious that you won’t believe that you can mix it up in mere minutes!
IF you are looking for another easy vintage cake, try my root beer soda cake!
How to Make Crazy Cake or Wacky Cake
This is literally the easiest chocolate cake that you are ever going to make. I swear that every Girl Guide has made this at one point or another as you can take the ingredients camping with you – there are no perishable ingredients! To make a wacky cake you need to:
- Combine all of the cake ingredients into a bowl and mix it up. If you were in Girl Guides you would literally mix it in the pan to save a bowl!
- Bake in the oven until a cake tester or toothpick inserted comes out clean.
That is IT. The easiest chocolate cake ever!
Wacky cake is a great cake to whip up in a hurry or when you don’t want to use a cake mix to bake a cake up for a recipe. It’s a great one to have in your back pocket for emergencies! It’s also perfect for people that are vegan or have dairy or egg allergies as they can have their cake and eat it too! To frost it you can make my Buttercream Frosting recipe or my Vegan Buttercream Frosting if you are looking to make an entirely vegan cake.
Who else made this cake as a kid? I swear it was in a Girl Guide handout or something, that’s what I remember it from! Or wait, maybe did we all make this for a baking badge or something?? Hmmm. That might be it!
Pin this to your Desserts Board and remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST for more great recipe ideas!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!Subscribe on YouTube
Crazy Cake or Wacky Cake Recipe
- Prep Time
- 5 minutes
- Cook Time
- 25 minutes
- Total Time
- 30 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
- Preheat your oven to 350 °F.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Add in the wet ingredients then stir until smooth.
- Pour into an ungreased 9x13 pan.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until a cake tester inserted comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan and serve from the pan.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.