These Cinnamon Raisin Oat Bran Muffins are my newest concoction, born from the fact that Mr Magpie went to the store looking for wheat bran ( I also want to make some dark, delicious plain bran refrigerator muffins soon) and came back with oat bran. So I shrugged and figured it was time to step up my refrigerator muffin game and try these.
How to Make Oat Bran Muffins
This new variation of refrigerator muffins is loaded with oat bran, oatmeal, raisins and cinnamon flavour. A lot of cinnamon. I LOVE a good oat bran muffin but I wanted to spice these up as oat bran can be a little plain when you don’t have anything else in the muffin. They are a little nuttier than the bran muffins and I added in some large flaked oatmeal to give them a more toothy texture.The result?
Really, really good refrigerator muffins. I loved that these were basically a cinnamon muffin, with bran. I made sure that they had a ton of cinnamon flavour because like I said, the next 6 week refrigerator muffins are going to be a dark, molasses-y bran and I want to mix up the flavours so that the kids (and Mike and I) don’t get bored of muffins. The kids are taking these for school lunch, Mike and I are enjoying them with a coffee for breakfast and I don’t want anyone to get tired of them. It’s been SO nice having that red Tupperware bowl of mine in the fridge all the time full of batter. It’s a life saver!
A confession? These 6 week refrigerator muffins have NEVER lasted us 6 weeks. Not even four weeks. Heck, these last us two or three weeks, I’m not even ashamed to admit it. That’s also why I am making sure to mix up the type of muffins so that we don’t get tired of them and I’m actually pretty excited to whip up the dark bran ones next. What a treat it has been to have a fresh, hot muffin every morning! The best part? It’s not always me making them. The kids and Mike are fully capable and can and DO make these in the mornings.
So if you’re looking for a seriously good cinnamon raisin oat bran muffin, these are the ticket!
Happy baking everyone!
Pin this to your Breakfast Ideas or Baking Boards and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups oat bran
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 5 cups all purpose flour
- 5 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups raisins
- 4 large eggs
- 1 quart 4 cups buttermilk
- 3 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups large flake oatmeal
- In the bottom of a very large lidded bowl, combine the oat bran with the boiling water. Let sit for 5 minutes then stir.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and stir until combined.
- Refrigerate at least 6 hours before using.
- When you are ready to bake, pre-heat your oven to 400 °F.
- Use a large cookie scoop to fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full with batter (see photo)
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Store the batter covered, in the refrigerator for up to 6 weeks.